Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith turnaround time

Open1215

Hey all. I recently sent a gun off to have some work done. Fit a 6 in barre, thread and install compensator as well as as some barrel porting. It will be 2 months as of the 15Th and I haven't gotten any word oN a return date. I have emailed once to ask. what should I be expecting? I know for full builds 4-6 months would be completely expected but for fitting a barrel and comp I'm thing 4 to 6 weeks? Am I waaay off? Any help would be great. I'm not going to name the smith yet I'm waiting to get the gun back to give a full wright up. Thank you BE community for the wealth of knowledge shared.

Hey all. I recently sent a gun off to have some work done. Fit a 6 in barre, thread and install compensator as well as as some barrel porting. It will be 2 months as of the 15Th and I haven't gotten any word oN a return date. I have emailed once to ask. what should I be expecting? I know for full builds 4-6 months would be completely expected but for fitting a barrel and comp I'm thing 4 to 6 weeks? Am I waaay off? Any help would be great. I'm not going to name the smith yet I'm waiting to get the gun back to give a full wright up. Thank you BE community for the wealth of knowledge shared.

It relally depends on who you are dealing with. I have had 3 distinctly different experiences.

1. A great guy that I have used multiple times that has given me a timeframe beforehand and has made it each time.

2. Another solid guy that took a bit longer then expected, but communicated with me the whole way.

3. A disaster that took 3x longer then originally expected and I had to beg to get a response.

Hmmm, sounds like I may have the 3rd. The reputation from everyone I have spoken to here was he's a bit slow but does awesome work and it's worth the wait. I just feel like I'm pulling teeth to get a response. I get it if I'm sending 2-3 emails a week or month wanting to change this or that but I'm not. I sent one 4 days after I sent the gun. Just to be sure it was received. (I figured I would be told They got it n would get a ballpark time) I sent one a month later asking for a ballpark time frame and got nothing. This was sent 3 weeks ago. Well I guess once I get my gun back I don't think I will be returning. O well. Soon my motorcycle shop will have most of the machining equipment needed to do the work my self. Next gun, I'll build :-) I just hate sitting on my thumb wondering.

2 to 3 months is not quite out of the ordinary depending on the gunsmith.

Many of us have had difficult situations with work being done.

If it's a great smith, you just have to be patient , and you know in the end you'll be happy with the results.

But being able to work on your own stuff will probably give you a bit more satisfaction.

Get those machines set-up, and make some chips working on your own gun.

Edited by gunnit

I can understand 2-3 months. I would be ok with 4 months but what gets me is the lack of response. If it will be ready end of August (9months after the fact) ok cool I will at the least know. Im really looking forward to making chips on some stuff. I have a motorcycle shop I'm in the middle of getting going but i have land to expand on I may end up installing an out building for a machine shop. See how that goes. Believe me when it comes time I will be on the cnc page here a lot! lol for now I gotta get lifts in this week and start turning wrenches.

In a way you were lucky to find a smith who would take a smaller job since most are still a$$holes and elbows doing full builds. I know you aren't talking about my gunsmith because he isn't accepting work as far as I know.

But you are right. If you are going to agree to do the work, at least have the common courtesy to keep the customer in the loop.

Open1215, I hate being in the dark also on what kind of time line am I looking at , so I can somehow plan around it.

Agreed a common courtesy to respond to an e-mail and let the person know of the situation on the work being done should be addressed even if they are extremely busy. A few smith's out there believe that because they have a lot of work that it's okay for them not to respond in a timely manner. This is unfortunate because things swing up and down all the time, and it takes years to build a great reputation and days to destroy it. Hopefully he will respond shortly about your gun.

In the meantime, motorcycles are important for a lot of people out there too. Good luck with setting up your shop.

I agree. Time will differ from time to time pending on season. It's like that with anything. Communication it the key. If it's going to be a while let the person know. I'm pretty busy and haven't shot in weeks but still. Thankfully times passing quick with all I have on my plate at the moment. I'm just thankful to be working again. After my accident I never thought i would be back wrenching on Harley's.

I'm really glad all my tools didn't sell a few months ago! Haha

^ ouch! Thing is I don't think that this smith does full builds. His work is mostly upgrades on existing platforms as well as some custom 1911stuff here N there but mostly upgrades... I would really just like a time frame. I apreciate all the feedback here everyone I just wasn't sure if I was out of line to be a bit upset with the lack of communication. Sad thing is I even asked what they recommended while the gun was there to run right. Blank slate I would have spent twice what I am if they had answered the question and said why they recommend it. Or just say this N this would be a great gun. Sold. He lost 800$ extra in labor alone from 1 email and I still sent him my gun. O well live N learn. I just want it done so I can start open this year. (I hope)