Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another which SG (sorry)

markj

My second post on this great forum.

I'll get down to it.

My need/want is a self defense semi-auto SG that is absolutely reliable, even with lighter loads. Barrel length 20" or less.

I don't plan on hanging much if anything on it. Budget is under 1K.

Here are some choices I've come up with in no particular order:

My LGS has a Benelli M1 Tactical (post HK). Appears to be unfired @ $800.

The Baretta 1301 is looking like a pretty good choice as well.

Maybe a MOA Precision Stoeger if it can be made within my criteria.

I appreciate your time and insight.

Thanks, Mark

If it's strictly for home defense I personally would buy the M3000 since you indicated semi action. They can be had for under 525.... but if there is a possibility of a pump you can't beat the 870 IMO for cost and reliability.

Edited by tnorman

And if its just HD gun, why not go with an 870, m500, or nova and save the cash? If i want absolute reliability there is only one choice and thats a pump....

I normally stay out of the HD threads on here (partly because it's outside the scope of this forums purpose) but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I've seen way more pumps malfunction than semi auto's. Its usually short stroking so it's technically not the guns fault but it's extremely common. In an HD scenario you will fall to the lowest level of your training, you will not replicate that one day at the range when the sun was shining, birds where singing and you hit everything you aimed at. And since most HD'ers don't put nearly the amount of lead down range as we do, I predict nothing but FUBAR'd short stroke malfunctions from the average citizen with a pump gun. And everything I've seen at the sporting clays range backs up my theory, but clays don't shoot back so people don't get too worried about their inability to effectively run a pump.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I understand this forum is mainly for competition, but you guys are too chock full of good information for me to resist asking. Who's to say that the SG won't be used eventually for competition or hunting? One never knows.

I do indeed have the old reliable 870, but I thought it wouldn't break any rules if I added a semi-auto to the stable.

Tony, I agree to an extent, but with training, you should not have a malfunction with a pump, but I do totally see your point. And as far as what gun to go with if you want to shoot real light loads, the 1301 is the ticket since it will shoot lighter loads more reliably than an inertia gun will. However if you can spent the extra $.50 a box and get 1-1/8 oz shells the Stoger or Benelli will eat them up. And with a little work to an inertia gun, you can cycle lighter loads as well. I polished up my Stoger and can get 1oz shells to run pretty well.

Stoegers are not currently available with less than a 24" barrel. They will NOT run 7/8oz loads, and will only run 1oz reliably at 1250fps or better. Ditto the Benelli. A gas-gun would be better suited for what you are looking for. Were I looking, with your listed criteria, a Remington 1100 or 11/87 would fit the bill well. They are great, reliable guns until you start 3gunning with them. Will last a lifetime of bird hunting, clays, or home defense. Will melt down in a season or two of heavy action matches. LOTS of aftermarket goodies, shell holders, stocks, sights, barrels, etc. Can be picked up at pawn shops around here for $350, in pretty good shape. Put a fresh gas seal, interceptor latch clip, and mag extension on it, clean and oil it, and it will be good to go. I would love to sell you a Stoeger, but it is not what you are looking for :)