Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my second TS have a couple questions.

Garmil

I have had a 9mm for a while just got a used .40 . When racking the slide on my 9 it's completely smooth and quiet.

With the .40 I can hear the recoil spring coiling/binding and it doesn't feel as smooth is this normal?

I tried both guns with 3 different guide rod/spring combos 9mm all were smooth all were not in the .40.

Thinking the plastic sleeve used on the 9 slide may be making a difference?

Check for burrs at the edge of the cut for the bore that the spring travels in and remove them. I use a flatwire spring in mine and it fits the plastic guide rod tightly so it cannot hump up and bind at all. A little heavy but smooth.

Interesting. My father in law has the 9 and 40 and they are exactly as you're describing.

So his 40 is also not smooth and hasn't caused any issues?

I will check for burrs, was thinking about switching to high power springs that are smaller diameter and I have read they work in these guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my browning high power Wolff progressive springs. Feels much better now, got a pack of 7 for $42 and was able to find the perfect one for my 9 and 40 loads. I'd recommend them over the ones I bought from czc.

Good. So the spings are " heavier"?

I got a range of heavier and lighter I'm using lighter than factory. Mother difference is the diameter not the weight. Plus they are progressive so the weight rating isn't directly comparable to a normal spring.