Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA REVO Rules / Hotttt of the Press

TnBaadBoy

The new revo rules convinced me to go back to SSP in IDPA. They killed SSR by making another unneeded rule change while at the same time making a division that is pretty much a G19 division. I don't get it at all. I am not going to invest in a 625 and all the stuff you need for it. Reloading 105 PF isn't worth it if you have to knockdown steel and I am not really into the reloading separately for steel and paper. I am more than pissed with this change if you can't tell, especially after cloning 2 686 into competition guns.

Steel has to be calibrated for 95 PF for the new BUG division.

the problem is that even at that calibration you need a solid down zero to knock it down and the plate will get knocked over more slowly making you have to wait for targets the steel may activate.

The new revo rules convinced me to go back to SSP in IDPA. They killed SSR by making another unneeded rule change while at the same time making a division that is pretty much a G19 division. I don't get it at all. I am not going to invest in a 625 and all the stuff you need for it. Reloading 105 PF isn't worth it if you have to knockdown steel and I am not really into the reloading separately for steel and paper. I am more than pissed with this change if you can't tell, especially after cloning 2 686 into competition guns.

ESR did not go away they rolled it into the new Revolver Division. There is now an ESR and an SSR sub-catagory. ESR remains pretty much unchanged other than a puzzling reduction in power factor from 165 to 155. I think if someone got real serious about it IDPA Revolver could be dominated by a 4-inch 625. Apparently from reading over that the IDPA forum only 74 shooters shot the classifier last year in ESR.

Well, no one shot CCP but we have that new class to satisfy what? People whining that they are not competitive with a G19? I understand that ESR did not go away, but a moon clip gun has an advantagr in reloads, forced reloads with retention, and with a reduced PF, faster splits. Maybe I am wrong, but we shall see.

ESR did not go away they rolled it into the new Revolver Division. There is now an ESR and an SSR sub-catagory. ESR remains pretty much unchanged other than a puzzling reduction in power factor from 165 to 155. I think if someone got real serious about it IDPA Revolver could be dominated by a 4-inch 625. Apparently from reading over that the IDPA forum only 74 shooters shot the classifier last year in ESR.

Well, no one shot CCP but we have that new class to satisfy what? People whining that they are not competitive with a G19? I understand that ESR did not go away, but a moon clip gun has an advantagr in reloads, forced reloads with retention, and with a reduced PF, faster splits. Maybe I am wrong, but we shall see.

So I completely miss read you first post about switching to SSP, I read that as SSR. Your post makes more sense now... ^_^ So I agree with you the moonclip guns are very likely going to dominate the new Revolver division if anyone get serious about using a 625. That said it seems that they are all in love with 357/38s if you read about the new Revolver division over at the IDPA forum most of them think the SSR guns will be faster. Only time will tell at this point.

How are the moon clip guns going to dominate? No one shoots them! That is why the ESR division was done away with.

If true then they should have eliminated ESR rather than fold it into the a combine division. I suspect 165PF was too much for the particular set of IDPA competitors that enjoyed shooting revolvers. Hence SSR having more participation. If someone that is not bothered buy the higher power factor (not as high as it was...) of ESR where to start shooting it they could probably do pretty well in the new Revolver division.

How are the moon clip guns going to dominate? No one shoots them! That is why the ESR division was done away with.

I did my part to try to keep it alive, where the heck was everybody else? O' now I remember, they're all busy shooting airsoft 105 pf. :angry2:

I suspect 165PF was too much for the particular set of IDPA competitors that enjoyed shooting revolvers. Hence SSR having more participation. If someone that is not bothered buy the higher power factor (not as high as it was...) of ESR where to start shooting it they could probably do pretty well in the new Revolver division.

The majority of folks who have been shooting ESR in IDPA also shoot USPSA and were some of the same folks who were glad to see the rule change to allow the 8 shot revolver with minor PF. The "other Jerry M that shoots revolver" is one of those. So repeated recoil over many years was one of the reasons for seeking a lower PF. Another was having to load ammo to a higher level for a revolver to make the same PF that the bottom feeders made.

Before we get any righteous indignation from folks who say this denigrates one of IDPAs core precepts - using full power service ammo - the reality is the majority of shooters who compete load their own ammo for economical reasons. Because of IDPAs inane .45 ACP protection class - CDP - anyone shooting .40 SW is shooting reduced loads to be competitive in SSP and ESP. So why should ta shooter have to subject themselves to higher recoil to make the same PF in a wheelgun than they do in a bottom feeder.