Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading dies 38super comp.

harald

Hi

I got my first open gun, and want to start reload. What dies and shellholder can i use? I have a lot 9mm bullets .355 124grain FMJ can i use them? My barrel is a schuemann .355 threded hybrid barrel with four integral ports and a Bedell comp.

I shoot 38 super, not the supercomp. So I just use the standard dies and conversion kit. I have friends that do shoot supercomp. When they reload they use standard 38 super stuff with the exception of changing the shell plate for the one for 223 rifle.

As far as the bullets go, .355 is the norm for todays 38 super/supercomp guns. If your gun is one of the older ones you may want to slug the barrel to see what you need.

Everybody has their preferences on what powder to use. A lot of guys like VV 350. I didn't care for it because it gave me a huge muzzle flash in cold weather. I use VV3n37. You have the same barrel set-up that I do. When I was shooting 124's I used 9grs to make the old major. I'm now shooting 115gr zero's. I load 9.4 to make the now lower major. Everybody's gun shoots different. Start low and crono.

Opinions are like backsides. Everybody's got one. You've just got to turn around real quick to find the only one that fits you.

The dies are the same as 38 super, the shellplate is a #3. The bullets should be fine but I would use either a CMJ or JHP, because the FMJ's have exposed lead on the bottem. There are plenty of loads here on the forum for super that you might like, just reduce the charge and work your way up.