Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

[Value Check] Tanfoglio TZ75-Governement

tycoonbob

Seems more and more Tanfo's are showing up locally, and I'm always interested. Got a guy with a TZ-75 Governement (yes, not Government). From my research, this is a Series 88 (1988) compact model. They were stamped Series 88 after 1988, but this one is not. Also, I don't think the compact is as common.

Am I wrong with my assumptions above? Anyone got any idea what it's worth? Comes with 1 mag. The guy says he has only shot ~3 mags through it, but I'm guessing he's not the original owner.

Pic that he shared:

image.jpg

Edited by tycoonbob

That's a sweet little gun. The modern Witness compact works just dandy, but the above just has a great classic look to it.

I'm no collector or anything, but I keep an eye out for Tanfoglios in classifieds ads or Gunbroker listings. The guns of that era are usually fullsizes and very beat up, and go for more like $300 or less. That one, being a compact and being in much better shape, I'd say $400 or more. I don't see over 500 unless someone really wants it as a collectible (personally, I'd love to have that gun, but I don't have 'collector' money. ;))

I don't see it as a collectible, and if I do get it, I could easily see it being a range gun and possibly a occasional carry gun (when I want something larger than my Kahr CW380 or CM9), but may not be practical for a conceal piece. I think it looks great, and the fact that it's a compact is what makes it appealing to me.

The dude is saying his "trade value" is $550, which I think is high. He's looking for a Springfield or Sig 9mm for a trade, but I think the only 9mm I would want to trade is my lady's Witness Pavona (she's been wanting a Canik55 Shark, ever since shooting my Shark FC). I think I would have no problem paying $400 cash, and maybe throwing in a couple boxes of ammo, but I just don't think I could pay any more than that...which sucks because I'd love to have it. And I'd prefer not to trade anyway.

Problem, I've bought a Sar K2-45 AND a Witness Hunter 10mm in the past 45 days. Gah...sometimes I hate that I love shooting.

Hate to say it, but TZ-75 sounds like a 250 - 300 dollar gun.

Some may say that since it's a less known/desired gun that has never and will never be particularly valuable, that condition doesn't matter...and I would say, nuts to that. While $250-300 can buy a new polymer Witness (or SAR), the steel guns the sell for that kind of price are beat to hell. Usually military/police surplus or range rentals that have heavy wear to the bluing (or whatever finish they have) and wooden grips that, honestly, it's hard to even fathom how they got so worn. Makes it look like the gun was being used primarily to hammer tent pegs into the ground. This, of course, makes me dubious about the mechanics of the gun...it probably could use a few new parts.

I think the OP had it about right. At $400 or less, that gun is a good buy. At $350 I'd call it a steal. His final price of $425...meh, it's not bad at all. I'd pay $450 for a Mossad in that shape...just because I think the engraving is neat, heh. The 'Governement' doesn't quite have the same appeal, but it's still an interesting gun.

Yeah, less would definitely be better. From the pictures I've seen (along with the first picture posted), the condition overall is decent. Other than holster wear and two dings in one of the grips, it's in good cosmetic shape. Can't speak on the internals as of yet, since I won't get to see it until later this afternoon.

It's worth mentioning that it comes with 1 mag, but the guy ordered another mag from EAA (guessing one of the large frame compact 9mm mags), which has to be another $30, which he will give me once he gets it. Also, he's giving me 75 rounds of FMJ 9mm (no idea why, but he said he would throw them in). That's about $20 just for the ammo. So at $50 for that mag and the ammo, I'm really only paying $375 for the pistol, which is a great deal in my opinion.

Those who aren't familiar with Tanfo's will definitely say get a CZ instead, but I have been nothing but happy with my 3 Tanfo's so far, with the exception of a TA-22 I once had (was in really rough shape). I'm that guy that likes to have what everyone else doesn't have. My safe does not have any Glocks, XD's, M&P's, etc...and probably never will (unless I get a G17C, just to see what all the fuss is about). In fact, the majority of what I have are CZ-based designs, when it comes to my semi auto pistols, at least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a month later I buy this pistol for $280. Came with one mag and a generic pistol case, so I think I did great on this. Pistol is very clean, and only bad spots are on the grip.

Now to source a couple more mags for it. Hoping the mags from one of my other Pistols fit, such as the lady's Pavona or my Canik Shark FC.

That's a great freaking price. Like I said, it would've been a 'buy' for me at 350 if it's really nice. I was wondering if a Tanfo enthusiast might pay more just 'cause it's kinda unique...I guess the answer is, if they were out there, the seller definitely couldn't find them, heh.

The 15rd Mecgar mags (what a compact Canik comes with) will definitely not work. At least, not well...too long.

I can't comment on if modern small-frame Tanfo mags will work- seems like I've heard the older ones are different in some way.

Yeah, I was super stoked with that price. The guy kept giving me the run around on when he could meet, and I work out of town a lot so I told him I'd pass. Month later I find out someone else bought it and is already trying to sell it. So I swoop in for $280.

The 15-rd mag from my Canik55 Shark FC will work in the CZ-75, but it is not flush fitting. The factory mag of the CZ-75 Governement is 13-rds. The 13-rd mags from my fiancee's Pavona will fit in the magwell, and will even cycle a round, but the mag catch does not grab the mag. I could probably take a dremmel and widen the mag catch hole on the mag to make it work, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to bother. The mag from this CZ-75 DOES work in the Pavona, as well.

I would love to have 1-2 more mags for this CZ-75, but I'm not sure yet if I want to buy them or just make the Pavona mags work.

I will share some photos once I get around to taking some.