Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Isocoles vs. Weaver

abcxyz

Was wondering people's opinions on which stance is more stable/consistent, Weaver or Isocoles.  I'm new to shooting and my natural stance that I felt comfortable with was Weaver, so I've shot about 1100 shots with Weaver stance.  Well yesterday I decided to try my whole session with Isocoles.  I thought I was shooting more consistently with it, but I'm not sure.  I'm going to the range tomorrow again, so I'll try it out again.  What are your guys' experiences/advice?  Thanks!

When I started shooting action pistol matches I switched over from the Weaver to the Iso.

I took lots of practice (dry-fire) to break the Weaver habit.  I am much better off now.  I won't be going back to the Weaver.

I was gonna be the rebel and shoot one eyed weaver, then I decided I'd rather win.

I switched from one eye weaver to both eyes iso at the same time.

It was murder watching temporary performance suffer, but the results are well worth it.

Would rather absorb recoil with one arm or two?

SA

Sounds like ISO is the way to go.  

Just a minor technical question then...well I think both elbows are supposed to be locked, but where are your elbows actually supposed to be pointing.  I'm right handed, so my right elbow seems like it can either point EAST all the way down to SOUTH(i.e., pointing to the ground), likewise my left elbow WEST all the way down to SOUTH.  Does it make much difference?  I just want to be consistent and start out right.  Thanks.

I personally don't lock the elbows, that's the old isoceles, we do the modern iso.

Leave 'em bent/flexed a little, roughly 45 degrees down.

Put both hands on a wall, right in front of your face and push back. See what your elbows do?

The amount of elbow flex will vary with the speed of the shooting.

SA

I think locking the elbows on an ISO is bad, because then the elbows can't absorb recoil.  Another benefit I found is that bending the elbows slightly brings the gun a few inches closer to the body.  That allows me to hold the gun steadier (it weighs about 65 ounces loaded) and gives me better bullseye scores compared to extended out full length.  I do find I shoot better one-handed with my elbow locked.

Well, before I went to the range today, I read these posts about NOT locking the elbows.  I tried it, and it feels kind of awkward.  Also, even when i DO bend both elbows, my right arm seems straighter than the left, and in order to keep them kind of the having the same amount of bend, I'd point my right elbow out a little more.  Looks like a pentagon shape, my chest being the base, biceps to elbow being 2 more sides and elbow to hands being 2 more sides.  Is that right?  Just feels weird.  I shot much closer groups though, but it just felt wrong....

While Brian's and Matt's books/tapes/forums offer much better instruction on the modern isoceles stance than I ever could, yes, it does feel weird at first.

Your elbows should be bent slightly to act as shock absorbers.

You need to assume a "sports" type aggressive stance where you are leaning slightly forward, balanced slightly towrd the forward part of your feet, feet shoulder width apart, strong leg slightly back.

Yes, your strong arm will be slightly straighter than your weak.

When its all put together correctly, someone should be able to push directly back into your hands, without making you go off balance. If they can, think of what the recoil of the gun does every shot.

I highly recommend Matt Burkett's training video to get a great visual of how this stance should look and feel, compared to the others.

Stick with it, it'll feel second nature before you know it, and is MUCH more flexible of a stance than any of the others you commonly see!