Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide to frame fitting and spiral fluted barrel

I am about to embark on my first build and have a couple of questions. Every where I've read, the gunsmith always fits the slide to the frame first. I want have my frame for about another month but gave everything else. Is there any reason I can't go ahead and fit the barrel to the slide first. Secondly, I'm going going to spiral flute the barrel. I have a 5" 9mm bull barrel. How many flutes are normally cut and what size end mill do I need to use? Any and All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jody

You can fit the barrel hood to the slide. Sides first with an alignment block in the slide then the rear of the slide so it just snicks (well known scientific term) into the upper lugs in the slide. From there you can check the depth of the upper lugs and fit them accordingly. Check the bore alignment with a barrel alignment rod of the appropriate caliber.

I would do a bunch (another scientific term) of research before I would try fluting the barrel.

if youre using common, new parts, You should not have any issues. However, on bastard guns/parts, I like to know how much room I have from lugs to frame bed/slidestop hole, and there can be instances where I want to limit the amount of lockup, even at the expense of not dead center firing pin hole alignment.

Its all new, CK Arms Slide and KKM bull barrel. I have a friend that builds custom rifles that is letting me use his cnc machines and he's going to help me set everything up for the barrel fluting. According to him there is "Nothing to it". Of course there never is if you know what your doing and have the right equipment.

... even at the expense of not dead center firing pin hole alignment.

Mike,

I agree on this.

Right on! I didnt mean to imply you didnt; sometimes a little extra info added to the mix will scare someone into making a correct choice when it comes to gunsmithing :cheers: