Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

picking up a 2011 frame and grip............

2muchvdos

Hello everyone......I am in the process of purchasing a sti 2011 frame and grip. the frame is a long dust cover and just curious, I know I can find the parts and build a 2011 myself but am curious, could I send the frame to a reputable build-smith like akai and have them build me one?

I am new to this and don't know too much about 2011's, other than shooting a couple of them and was really impressed.

Thanks all.

yes.

some builders have preferences on which parts they like to use. I put together a bunch of parts and sent em to Matt Cheely to have him build my open gun and he was cool with it. Looking back it didn't save me any money, but I was able to pick out the parts I could find available or off the forums.

You absolutely can (and probably should) send the frame off to Akai or another builder. They generally will have certain components they prefer to work with so I don't think you need to be worried about tracking down all the components. I believe Akai charges you for the gun you select and credits you back for the parts you send in.

Unless you have a mill and plenty of experience this isn't the sort of thing you should attempt to tackle yourself. Especially for your first 2011- pick a good builder, ask lots of questions, and trust their judgement.

I have worked with Jimmy Vidanes of 1911 Speed Shop and Glenn Rasch of Lone Star Innovations and both have been excellent to work with. I'm planning on sending more to Glenn next week...

You absolutely can (and probably should) send the frame off to Akai or another builder. They generally will have certain components they prefer to work with so I don't think you need to be worried about tracking down all the components. I believe Akai charges you for the gun you select and credits you back for the parts you send in.

Unless you have a mill and plenty of experience this isn't the sort of thing you should attempt to tackle yourself. Especially for your first 2011- pick a good builder, ask lots of questions, and trust their judgement.

I have worked with Jimmy Vidanes of 1911 Speed Shop and Glenn Rasch of Lone Star Innovations and both have been excellent to work with. I'm planning on sending more to Glenn next week...

I have actually heard a lot of goid things from 1911 Speed Shop. Would you happen to have a phone number or email.

So I don't really know the Kali laws but if you screw up the frame you have doing it yourself wouldn't you be sh!t outta luck, seeing as getting a new frame is a low probability move?

I bet you could find a local gunsmith who can build with your parts, not that sending off to a big name builder isn't a great move also.

Good luck amigo!

Yes you are correct. I try and stay local with everything and have talked to 1 gunsmith already. Just wanted to see options. At first I didn't understand what makes builder A better than builder B. Realized that it's their own ideas of why it should have this and that and then making it their own by adding their flair to it, AKA aesthetics.