Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! First 2011, built for ESP / Limited

DWNZRO

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first real post. So here's a little background... I started shooting IDPA in 2011, shortly after buying a 9mm 4.5" XDM. I've been very happy with it, especially after getting it back from the SA Custom shop. 2 years or so ago, I started shooting IPSC as well. I'm lucky to have one of the best ranges in the country just a few miles away (Green Valley). After getting a first place finish last year in an IPSC style match (Missouri Monster Match), I decided to step up my game and get an STI 2011 in .40. I'm in contact with Bobby at Freedom Gunworks about building the perfect ESP / Limited 2011. Obviously the modifications allowed are quite a bit different, so I'm running into issues. I've done a ton of research on 1911forum and here, but thought I would get your guys opinion on my specific problem. So if you're still with me.... here it goes.

1. I've always loved FLDC 1911's, specifically the SA TRP Operator. So I want something as close to this style as possible.

2. I know IDPA ESP rules only allow a rail that is less than 3.25" from the rear of the slide stop pin.

3. As of last year, I'm the Assistant MD for IDPA at our club, so I don't intend on dropping IDPA anytime soon.

4. I want to shoot the same gun in both competitions to maximize my practice/ competition time.

5. The budget is about $3000 not including equipment.

6. Attached is a Limited gun from FGW that is the look I'm going for, but don't think the rail is IDPA legal. (Obviously ignore the huge magwell, lightened slide, bull barrel, etc.)

post-57380-0-53614500-1420747661_thumb.j

post-57380-0-56773000-1420747672_thumb.j

Question 1: How long is the rail on a classic length Light Rail Frame? (Measured from the Slide Stop Pin)

Question 2: Should I have Bobby start with a full length LRF and do a Butler cut to make it IDPA legal?

Question 3: Anybody have a picture of a 2011 with a rail they use for ESP?

Question 4: Anybody have specs on their railed 2011 built for ESP?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing all the expertise you guys have on this subject.

Edited by smokedbmw

I wish I could claim I was an expert, but I'm not. However, I am in a similar situation as you. I was the assistant MD at our IDPA club last year, and I also want to build some form of double stack steel framed blaster, for USPSA and IDPA, if I choose to continue to keep shooting IDPA.

That photo looks like a STI Tactical 5" which is a bull barrel I think (judging by my friends). If you were to cut the rail back on a similar frame, you could make it IDPA legal, with a bushing barrel, I'm just not sure how much rail you would have left. Instead of doing that, you might would be better off purchasing a STI Marauder. I personally haven't held one or measured the dust cover, but it appears to be IDPA legal.

http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-marauder/

The picture is a custom built STI by Freedom Gunworks, but you're right it does look similar to a 5" Tactical. I had never seen the STI Marauder and I like it but it's only available in 9mm. It does look like the perfect IDPA legal gun from STI though.

Here is my build sheet as it looks now:

40 S&W

Full Length Tactical Rail Frame cut down to 3.25"

5" Tri-Topped Slide w/ front and rear serrations

Bushing Barrel w/ Standard Guide Rod

Stippled and Single Undercut STI Grip

SVI trigger

FO Front Sight / STI Adjustable Rear

Magwell shaved to fit IDPA box

Edited by smokedbmw

Here you go, in stock.... just click "add to cart".... I know I have thought about it. :)

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-50-Marauder-40-SW-SC-P3571.aspx

Ha! Nice! Looks like STI needs to update their website. Thank you that's very tempting but I already have Bobby started on the build. Just trying to work out the details of it. Plus I know I would want it sent to him anyway.

Here you go, in stock.... just click "add to cart".... I know I have thought about it. :)

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-50-Marauder-40-SW-SC-P3571.aspx

Ha! Nice! Looks like STI needs to update their website. Thank you that's very tempting but I already have Bobby started on the build. Just trying to work out the details of it. Plus I know I would want it sent to him anyway.

I know exactly what you mean, every time I think about buying one.... It starts adding up: new trigger job, new slide release, new thumb safety, new mainspring housing, new trigger, etc.... Why am I buying this pre-built gun again?

Just to clarify I'm not looking to buy a stock STI. I already have Freedom Gunworks on a custom build, just trying to confirm the details before they get started.

Question 1: How long is the rail on a classic length Light Rail Frame? (Measured from the Slide Stop Pin)

Question 2: Should I have Bobby start with a full length LRF and do a Butler cut to make it IDPA legal?

Question 3: Anybody have a picture of a 2011 with a rail they use for ESP?

Question 4: Anybody have specs on their railed 2011 built for ESP?

One up the marauder in 40. The rail is IDPA legal - I had a friend just talking to Chuck at Shooters Connection about this. The gun is also a limited run. They built it specially for SC. It was meant to be able to be use in Three events, USPSA, Three Gun and IDPA.

I beleive the measurement on the rail is 2.75 which is 1/2 inch shorter than allow so you have plenty of room.

The gun already comes with a 100 fiber optic front s you are good and also with a Tactical magwell. You may want to replace the magrelease button ( But not needed) I just like one that is filed so your thumb does not slip.

I run a STI Eagle in IDPA

13lb recoil spring

180 grain Extreme HP

4.0 grain of HP38

1.145 AOL

Produces - 133PF

Shoots very accurate and no recoil.

Bridgeville RIFLE and Pistol Club IDPA Assistant MD

This is what an IDPA legal length rail looks like. Butler cut will not be short enough to be legal.

Perfect! Thank you! Beautiful blaster by the way. There are a few guys from Arnold that shoot at our monthly IDPA match at Green Valley.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've done some Photoshop magic to try to imagine what this build will look like. It came out great and I'm really excited. Now for the hard part... the 6 month wait. Thanks for all your help guys.

MyFGWPS_zps09f2b8dc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You cant have a bull barrel for IDPA, you will need a bushing for sure. You also need to make sure the gun will fit in the IDPA box, to that super extended beavertail and magwell will have to go. There is also a weight restriction on the pistol. Who ever builds the gun should know if it will be legal or not.

You cant have a bull barrel for IDPA, you will need a bushing for sure. You also need to make sure the gun will fit in the IDPA box, to that super extended beavertail and magwell will have to go. There is also a weight restriction on the pistol. Who ever builds the gun should know if it will be legal or not.

Hence my disclaimer with the picture in the OP that reads "Obviously ignore the huge magwell, lightened slide, bull barrel, etc.". If anybody is looking to do a similar build, here is my build sheet. I've removed the prices because that is not the intent of this thread. If anybody is curious, feel free to PM me.

Inv_23_from_Freedom_Gunworks_IncCrop_zps

• 6 months later...

7 months later and she is finally done! I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out. Picked it up Saturday, broke it in with 350 flawless rounds. Shot it at our local match the next day and placed the highest I've ever been (4th overall). So far about 500 rounds, mostly minor and it has run perfectly.

IMG_20150907_144526_zps0ugavbwm.jpg