Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 320 sights ?

p7fl

Picked up one a Sig 320 few weeks ago. Before I can evaluate it for Production (and spend $ on new holster mags and mag holders)… I really need more competitive sights.

The gun comes with blocky night sights.

Any suggestions? I am mostly running 115 fronts with 140 or 15x rears which work well for my 1911s and Glock 19s

TIA

jon

I've switched to Dawson FO front sights on my 2 competition Sigs. My 226 has the factory #8 rear with the white stripe blacked out. My Allround has the factory adjustable rear. They both have 0.125" front sights. I tried a 0.110", but it was too thin for my taste.

A Dawson front with a Warren Tactical rear is a popular combination.

I called Dawson last week and they said the combination would not fit a 320. Have you seen these on a 320?

thx

jon

I called Dawson last week and they said the combination would not fit a 320. Have you seen these on a 320?

thx

jon

They'll fit. They have the same dovetail size as the rest of the P series guns. Whether or not they regulate to your desired POI is the question. The blessing of Dawson is that they make a boat load of different height fronts.

I've been using Dawson fronts with either Heinie or Dawson Charger rears and have been very pleased with both.

That link has a picture of my gun before adding my Dawson front.
I used a Heinie rear cut for the P226. It fits well and doesn't overhang the back like the Warrens do.
Beware, it seems like there is some variance in the depth of the front sight cut on the P320s. After I installed the Heinie front and rear I tool it out to the range and put it on paper at various distances. Dawson has a calculation on his front sight page that tells you how to figure out your ideal front sight height. For my pistol and 147 gr 128 PF load ended up ordering a .250 tall Dawson front but your mileage may vary.
Bruce Gray has worked to develop an alternative rear sight that looks really good as well and can be seen on his Facebook page. I am hoping that will be for sale through GGI soon.
One final alternative, it looks like Max Michel had his P320 slide cut for an adjustable rear sight manufactured for a Springfield XD. Again, pictures on his Facebook.

NgdDG3Kh.jpg

Edited by alma

The XD sights have the same dovetail size as P series Sigs, so he likely wouldn't have had to have any dovetail work done. Is he running the Dawson adjustable for the XD? You have a link to his page, by any chance?

The XD sights have the same dovetail size as P series Sigs, so he likely wouldn't have had to have any dovetail work done. Is he running the Dawson adjustable for the XD? You have a link to his page, by any chance?

I heard they share the same dovetail but to my eyes it looks like his dovetail is cut further up the slide and other portions of the slide have been milled down to make room for the sight.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=117459881600246

Thanks for that. I don't bookface and it wouldn't let me on there, so I stole the significant other's iPad and looked it up. :-)

I zoomed that lower image (below) in a bit and it looks unmodified to me, but I sure could be mistaken. I'm thinking it might just be the lighting on the two in the upper pic. [shrug]

ScreenShot2015-01-10at100915PM_zpsd058d4

ETA: Thanks for sharing you zeroing details.

Edited by taadski

I've run into a problem installing an XD sight before. I had a Dawson front for an XD that I had previously installed without a problem on my carbon slide 226. But when I tried to put it on my X5 AR, it would not go on. Turns out that due to the contour difference on top of the slide (the carbon slide has a longer flat area behind the front dovetail), the XD sight didn't fit on the slide, even though it would have fit the dovetail otherwise.

I've run into a problem installing an XD sight before. I had a Dawson front for an XD that I had previously installed without a problem on my carbon slide 226. But when I tried to put it on my X5 AR, it would not go on. Turns out that due to the contour difference on top of the slide (the carbon slide has a longer flat area behind the front dovetail), the XD sight didn't fit on the slide, even though it would have fit the dovetail otherwise.

Interesting re the X5. I've installed them on a number of both carbon and milled slide 226s without issue, FWIW.

Alma, any idea what the height is on Bruce's rear?

Alma, any idea what the height is on Bruce's rear?

I don't know the exact height. Tim Herron has a P320 with one so I might be able to ask him. I think Bruce said he was matching these with something like a .230 tall Dawson front?

• 2 weeks later...

That link has a picture of my gun before adding my Dawson front.

I used a Heinie rear cut for the P226. It fits well and doesn't overhang the back like the Warrens do.

Beware, it seems like there is some variance in the depth of the front sight cut on the P320s. After I installed the Heinie front and rear I tool it out to the range and put it on paper at various distances. Dawson has a calculation on his front sight page that tells you how to figure out your ideal front sight height. For my pistol and 147 gr 128 PF load ended up ordering a .250 tall Dawson front but your mileage may vary.

Bruce Gray has worked to develop an alternative rear sight that looks really good as well and can be seen on his Facebook page. I am hoping that will be for sale through GGI soon.

One final alternative, it looks like Max Michel had his P320 slide cut for an adjustable rear sight manufactured for a Springfield XD. Again, pictures on his Facebook.

NgdDG3Kh.jpg

I like the look and feel of this over grip tape. Nice work Alma..

• 2 weeks later...

Local Steel Challenge match coming up. I am not ready to choose new competition sights.

The factory night sights wash out against used steel plates (or I am just used to red fiber optics).

If I use black Sharpie on the sights will it come off easily? I know there used to be a spray but it was a sloppy mess.

Sharpie OK ?