Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock magazines won't work with Arredondo basepads

Cy Soto

I have been having issues using +5 Arredondo basepads on Glock 15 round .40S&W magazines. I thought that my problem was weak springs so I replaced them all, but the problem continued.

The issue I am having is that, when I fully load the magazines (to 20 rounds), the first 2 or 3 rounds fail to go into chamber. It finally dawned on me that what is happening is that the the follower is getting stuck in the transition between the basepad and the bottom of the magazine. I imagine that I need to file off this "lip" but I am unsure about how much to file off and at what angle.

Any help with this project is greatly appreciated. Photos would be great too.

Thanks!

This could be the issue, but it definitely..: all of the companies advertise that +5 capability, but that isn't always the case. 20 rounds of .40 can be a very tight fit. I only have one mag that I can put 20 rounds in and it will work properly. That being said, if you search for 'how to radius a Glock follower' you'll find detailed videos on how to file down the part that catches on the lip. Hopefully that is your issue, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That being said, if you search for 'how to radius a Glock follower' you'll find detailed videos on how to file down the part that catches on the lip.

Found it. Thank you very much for your quick and thorough reply!

First off, I never load to 20 rounds because that puts way too much pressure on the mag when you seat it with the slide closed. It can actually bulge the sides just a tad.

Second, I've found that some handloads tend to hang up more readily than others. I'm not exactly sure what creates the problem, but perhaps someone else has.

Second, I've found that some handloads tend to hang up more readily than others. I'm not exactly sure what creates the problem, but perhaps someone else has.

I thought about this too but changing the OAL didn't seem to affect it. I think this may have something to do with the Glock magazine internal dimensions. Some mags tapper a bit at the the bottom which, I theorize, is so that the follower doesn't tilt forward under spring tension.

If you are Shooting reloaded glock brass without going through a push through resizer, then your brad will be a little wide near the bottom, and when you multiply that by 20, it makes the stack a little too tall to fit in the mag...

At least that is my theory about why I can get one more round into my extended mags with factory vs. hand loaded rounds.

I use an EGW undersized die and all my finished rounds drop easily into a Wilson checker which is tighter than my chamber. I run into more problems trying to use plated than jacketed bullets. The most when I experimented with some 135gr plated bullets - which may have to do with seating depth. I've often considered experimenting with a slightly longer OAL to see if that would help or not.

I've also talked with Arredondo, Dawson, and Taylor about capacity and all have said the same thing - it mainly depends on your mags. Glock has made minor changes throughout the years and even within generations, there can be some differences in the mags.

It's really an academic point since planning on shooting a stage to the capacity of your mag is seldom a good idea in Limited - there's another whole thread on this.

FWIW, I really like the Arredondo design. The plastic takes a beating and the mags are simple to take apart and assemble at the range. Just out of interest, I'm trying out the Taran Tactical extensions this year. They seem to have just a fraction of a fraction of an inch more space in them, such that when I get that 20th round in, there's still a bit of play left in the spring.

This could be the issue, but it definitely..: all of the companies advertise that +5 capability, but that isn't always the case. 20 rounds of .40 can be a very tight fit. I only have one mag that I can put 20 rounds in and it will work properly. That being said, if you search for 'how to radius a Glock follower' you'll find detailed videos on how to file down the part that catches on the lip. Hopefully that is your issue, good luck!

Quoting this for truth. Sometimes you just have to mod the follower on certain mags.

Quoting this for truth. Sometimes you just have to mod the follower on certain mags.

I must be saying something right if Taran thinks I'm on the right track ;-)

Btw, when are the magwells comin out?!

I must be saying something right if Taran thinks I'm on the right track ;-)

Btw, when are the magwells comin out?!

Work in progress mi amigo. The design is solid, we just need to make sure it fits everything. Getting metal on metal to fit is easy; getting metal on polymer to fit is no joke. Probably the hardest project we've ever worked on, but we're not unleashing it on you guys until it's perfect.