Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legals holsters

Steve Moneypenny

I thought it would be a good idea to add what holsters and mag pouches are legal for IDPA under the new rule book. I thought of this because i'm not sure if my trusty 1911 holster is legal. It is a Safariland 561 .

Any and all opinions are welcome.

and are my fobus mag pouches legal.. I THINK they cover half of the mag but did not get a micrometer to measure.

What is the best mag pouch that meets these rules.?

Steve the problem with this is that a holster that is legal for one person might not be legal for another, or if you use a different belt it also might not pass the day light test...

as far as your fobus it depends on which mag/gun you are using....

Bob

Steve - Thanks for the prompt. You made me think about whether my dual leather mag pouches - I realize I'm one of two guys on this list who even own these ;) - are legal insofar as the two inch rule applies. It turns out that my gamer Don Hume and El Paso Saddlery pouches aren't kosher for the rear mag under a strict application of the rule. Here's the email I sent to IDPA HQ asking for clarification:

Folks - The new rule for mag pouches is easy to check on for single mag pouches.  Many dual mag pouches are made high in the middle, where the retention screw usually is, and taper down toward the sides.  This can result in the front mag being well within the rules, and the rear one not quite being covered two inches at the rear of the mag when both mags are facing forward (as most shooters usually carry them).  As an SO, how do I deal with this?

My recommendation is that if the mag in the front makes the two inch rule, then the mag pouch should be legal.  My rationale is that the rear mag has to come up and over the hump formed by the tension screw or stitching, and this causes the shooter to use at least as much time and motion as using the front pouch, therefore it offers the shooter no competitive advantage.

Thanks!

Chuck Edwards

A01966

I'll let y'all know the outcome when/if I get an answer.

Steve,

The 50% rule that you are referring to did not make it into the current iteration of the rules. As they read now the mag holders must cover 2" as measured on the rear of the mag from the top of the case rim. So much for BW stating a lot of thought went into each rule change as a G26/27 mag barely measures 3 inches. That doesn't leave much mag sticking out for a secure grip.

Craig