Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DLC Coating

syme71

Tungsten diamond like carbon (DLC) is an extremely hard and durable industrial coating available from Bodycote. The DLC and Boron Carbide (BC) coatings have become very popular in the custom knife business. Both are more similar to hard chrome in rust and wear resistance than they are to the black polymer finishes available. Both are also proprietary to Bodycote, so anyone that offers the finish is shipping the parts to Bodycote. I do not own a DLC or BC coated firearm, but I have owned several custom knives with this finish and both are great.

http://www.bodycote.com/?OB=60&POB=59&SCH=dlc&ID=257

Unless they give you a real diamond when you get the pistol back...375 is a LOT of money for any coating...

I agree with that. I do know that Bodycote has a minimum charge, and perhaps that explains the $375 cost. Dan Wesson has mentioned that they will offer DLC coating as an option on new pistols for $150, but they probably wait until they have enough pistols to ship that the minimum charge is not an issue.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have a friend who had his wilson slide coated in black Boron Carbide and it was really nice. Very beautiful and not a speck of holster wear after using it in a kydex holster for more than 6 months. It still likes as pristine as the day it came back refinished. I agree it looks more like black hardchrome then any of the polymer coatings.