Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for a 16 inch barrel AR -10

Flash66

I reload .308 for my M1As and FAL for general range use. I usually go with 150 gr Hornady bullets and about 45.5 grs of BL-C(2).

I just recently picked up a Sig Sauer 716 Patrol AR-10 type carbine with a 16 inch barrel.

I will probably continue to still use 150 gr bullets since I have a lot of them on hand.

For those of you that experience loading for an AR-10 does the 16 barrel present any unique issues? Do I need a faster burning powder than the BL-C(2) like maybe CFE 223 or H-335? You can use them both for .223 and .308.

I am worrying about the velocity out of a 16 inch barrel. It kinds of defeats the purpose of having a more hard hitting .308 over a .223 if the velocity is going to be low.

Any words of wisdom from anybody that loads .308 for an AR-10?

I would guess velocity out of the 16" barrel with 150g bullets should be in the 2500 fps range(im shooting 175g SMK's out of a 20" at around 2500 so im just using a WAG to arrive at 2500fps for a 150g out of a 16", which is probably conservative). You are STILL slinging a bullet weighing between 2x and 3x as much as a .223 bullet, even if not as fast, your energy will still be a lot higher.

Example:

150g FMJBT at 2500fps= ~1750 ft lbs at 100 yards

55g FMJBT at 3000fps= ~835 ft. lbs at 100 yards

So over double the energy delivered on target.

Dont over think things.

You can also run something like a 155g AMAX which is reported to expand down into the 1400fps range. That gives you lethality out to 500+ yards.

Yea, my 16" DPMS barrel didn't group too well with factory Remington UMC (don't remember which grain though). I have some BL©2 powder and 150 gr SMK that I will have to try out. I was also wondering if there is a good load that the shorter barrels like.

Barrel length makes no difference, to a point. You may need to use a slightly faster powder to get a full burn.

What matters most is the barrels twist rate when choosing a bullet, and what you want to accomplish.

jj

I have a 16" JP 308. As long as your bullet and powder combo gives good accuracy then keep using it. Using a faster powder would be more ideal for a 150gr bullet, but I value accuracy more than velocity. I use 8208 with 155 Amaxs and get around 2670 fps.