Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy hierarchy.

Therealkoop

How important are certain rifle reloading steps? How much do they affect the end result? Assuming the powder drop is perfect and the projectile is quality, how would you rate these aspects based on result/importance? (I may have missed a few).

Case capacity.

Primer pocket uniformity.

Match vs standard primers.

Neck Concentricity.

Brass OAL variances.

Cartridge OAL variances.

Projectile weight variances.

case capacity would be high on my list for precision ammo. consistent case capacity more specifically i.e. using single head stamp brass.

Next would probably be neck concentricity.

I dont uniform primer pockets save for my swage rod going in on the 1050.

I dont subscribe to match vs. standard primers. Wolf primers are pretty damn good for "cheap" primers.

I hate to say this but I would approach this from a different angle: Provided all the powder charges are consistent, I would go and shoot a group and measure velocity. After establishing a baseline I would have to experiment with one variable at a time. Provided your ES and SD are good, then don't mess with primers any longer. If your SD and ES are good then that lot of cases are consistent enough, if ES is high then sort for weight as that's about all you can do to get consistent case capacity. After that you can check a handful of ammo with runout and some without; if your chamber is big and runout is .003 or less, I don't think you will see any difference, if there is gross runout variation I would have to check brass for runout and then look into your press and dies.

match vs standard primers is a mute point, sometimes standard primers work better then match primers.

case capacity

ctg OAL variations (provided its not from bullet tip variations which is not an OAL variation, OAL variation SHOULD be from base to ogive)

concentricity of bullet, not neck concentricity (provided its under .003 you are OK)

Brass OAL (provided its all been trimmed, .001-.002 variation is fine)

Primer pocket uniformity

bullet weight (generally not an issue with match bullets at all, bullet OAL from base to tip and base to ogive is more of an issue)