Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 Micrometer Seat Dies in an S1050

I find myself in an unfulfilling love relationship with Forster micrometer seating dies.

I run a Dillon S1050 and when loading .223 I am fortunate to be able to use a Forster seat die to control overall length of my rounds.

I also load 30-06 and .308 but the length of the case and the limited operating capability of the S1050 ram will not allow me to use Forster Dies with those calibers.

I have tried milling off the bottom of the sliding sleeve on my 30-06 die which ended up ruining the sleeve and still not enough clearance between the die itself and the cartridge case. .308 would require me to trim the sleeve or lift it up to seat each bullet on the case.

I love the Forster die because the micro scale is the easiest to read and their CS department was very helpful as I tried to overcome this issue.

Has anyone tried the Redding retrofit micrometer head that converts standard dues to a micrometer controlled seating insert? Is it compatible with a Dillon seat die?

Is this a great product idea for Dillon to come up with a solution to? They make modified 30-06 dies to use on the S1050 can they modify a Forster micrometer seat die to work on the S1050?

Edited by pmclaine

• 3 weeks later...

I use the .223 Redding Competition Seating die with my S1050.... If i didn't already have it prior to getting my S1050. I probably would have opted to get a Hornady die and micrometer dial add-on. It is also a sleeved seating die just like the Redding but cheaper.

Edited by Boxerglocker

I may have to try the Redding. The attraction to the Forster is the larger micrometer numbers and ease in reading/setting. For .223 the Forster works great. It's just .308 and 30-06 that won't clear the sleeve.

I think Redding makes a mic seater head that retrofits on other dies I may go in that direction to see if one will fit the Dillon die. I won't have the body sleeve but it will still allow me to adjust seat by a standard not a guess.

Edited by pmclaine

• 1 month later...

I now have cut part of the sleeve flush with the bottom of the die. Had a few hang-ups by bullets hitting the sleeve. After funneling the sleeve that hasn't happened anymore.

I was a little afraid that the sleeve would twist in the die, but so far that hasn't happened.

post-6746-0-54088500-1425224779_thumb.jp

post-6746-0-43121600-1425224801_thumb.jp