Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Witness Gold Team .40 S&W first outing.

Big Nick

On this, and other forums, I've read how the Gold Teams have had feeding issues, so I was curious how my new Gold Team in .40 S&W would do. I currently own a WItness Steel and a Witness Limited Pro, both in .40 S&W, and have never had a problem with either one of them. That is the main reason I bought the Gold Team in .40 S&W. I took the gun out today and fired almost 100 rounds through it, using Federal white box 165 grain jacketed flat nose bullets. I reload for the other guns but only had lead rounds loaded and wanted to break the Gold Team in with jacketed bullets. I started off by sighting in my C-More red dot. After about 10 shots, I starting shooting double and and triple taps. I was amazed how fast I could get the dot back on target. I then started shooting 6 round burst of controlled fire with the dot coming back on target very quickly. I ended the day shooting three, ten round busrt as fast as I could pull the trigger. When the shooting was over, the Gold Team ended up functioning perfectly. The only changes I need to make to the gun is to remove about 1/16" from the slde racker so it clears the EAA side scope mount, buy 2mm longer flat head screws to mount the EAA side mount because factory screws are too short, and adjust the reset screw to shorten the trigger travel. Other than that, I really like the way the Gold Team shoots, with very little muzzle jump and quick sight acquisition. Also, I think it may be the most accurate WItness I own.

Edited by Big Nick

kneelingatlas,

I take it I have to remove the trigger to adjust the reset travel setscrew? Never mind, just read an early post that says I should be able to adjust the screw with the slide removed.

Edited by Big Nick

Very cool. I just got one in 9mm - only have factory ammo right now to play with and haven't gotten it running yet with that. But, the gun is very accurate and holds great in the hand and is just a great piece of equipment. Looking forward to dialing it in. Here, if I do it right, is a pic with the sideways mount I've started with.

tangt_zps6d5561d5.jpg

I've ordered red xtreme grips, Henning conefit guide rod and USPSA base pads with Grams spring kit for the Gold Team. I think I'll also replace the magwell on the Gold Team with the Henning magwell I currently have on my Limited Pro. I thought about the sideways scope mount but stayed with the more traditional mount. I'll start playing around with reloads in the next few weeks, trying to find what load provides good accuracy with minimum muzzle flip. I'll search this forum for that information. I don't think my powder puff loads I shoot in the Limited Pro will do much for maximizing the efficiency of the 12 holes and dual port compensator.

Blue Dot is the slowest powder I currently have. I've heard there is a whole lot of flame, but I'd like the look. I think it would look like a top fuel dragster coming off the line with those 12 holes and all. Don't shoot at night so I don't think there would be a problem with flash. May not be the cleanest but I shoot Green Dot in my ultra light load .40's and don't have a problem with the little burnt flakes that it sometimes leaves. I currently shoot 155 gr. coated Bayou Bullets in my Limited Pro. Is that a problem in the Gold Team with the holes and comp?

Your 9mm GT should have come two barrels, one without ports, that's the one for factory ammo.

Yep I gave both a go. Since that first run I've put a 13b hammer spring in and a Grauffel firing pin just waiting on some springs to try to tune the slide. Soon as I get powder I'll load up something better than factory hopefully.

Big Nick post some pix when you're done tweaking!

Here is a picture of my Witness Gold Team. I've added EAA xtreme grips, EAA slide ride mount w/blast shield, C-more slide ride scope, Henning magwell, Henning mag base w/Grams spring kit, and a Henning conefit guide rod. Hopefully the weather won't be to bad the second Saturday of January so I can try it out at the Miami Rifle and Pistol steel match.

post-24489-0-05206500-1419819180_thumb.j