Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

zero swaged bullets

postal

Actually, swaged lead bullets are generally softer, if I understand the theory--since cast bullets usually are alloyed with some portion of tin or somesuch to harden them up. The swaged ones are pretty much pure, soft lead.

As far as leading, I've shot thousands of their .45 230 rn and .357 158 rn without any leading that couldn't be cleaned out with a boresnake and a tight patch. I just started loading major with the .45, though, and am getting just a bit up by the forcing cone. I think it's cause I'm shooting it from a 625 and am more or less forced to use a very clean--i.e., very fast--powder (Hodgdon Clays). With something a mite slower, I doubt I'd be getting anything at all.

In any event, if you push a swaged bullet over 900 or so, it's gonna smear things up pretty quickly, IME (for instance, with a .357 LSWCHP).

So the answer is (as it usually is): depends ;) .

It depends on how you want to use them. I use their 158 grain .38 RNLs exclusively for my IDPA loads, and push them ~840-850 fps with absolutely no leading. I don't know how much faster you can go with them, though I'm going to find out the next time I order some. ;)

Swaged bullets don't respond well to major loads with lots of freebore, as in Christopher's 625. Their 230s worked fine in my Gubmint Model and Commander over 6.6 grains of WSF. I'm going to try some over Titegroup. There's some leading at the beginning of the rifling, and that usually means there's insufficient pressure. Zero uses a soft lube, which helps keep down the leading, but makes them smokier than with hard lube.

I don't have much experience with the 200s.

I typically do not load hot ,I will use them for i.d.p.a. ,and practice in between ,I like the 185 grains as far as recoil ,but my Wilson responds better with the 200’s ,and no real difference with recoil

I will post my results ,and data when I get it all together

they came in today ,i can see they are going to be a pain ,the lube is so darn sticky ,it is all over the bullets ,i have to wipe each one down ,after they fall into the bin ,it gets all over the other cases

any ideals on how to clean them ,so far i used a rag with a spot of lighter fluid ,it works ,but time consuming

they came in today ,i can see they are going to be a pain ,the lube is so darn sticky ,it is all over the bullets ,i have to wipe each one down ,after they fall into the bin ,it gets all over the other cases

any ideals on how to clean them ,so far i used a rag with a spot of lighter fluid ,it works ,but time consuming

Is it really worth it?

Just shoot jacketed. I kow there is a price difference, but look at it this way:

What is your time worth? :blink: