Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening Benelli Nova Stock

TyinTX

I ran my Benelli Nova for the first year of 3 gun because it was what I had. Learned and lot and still have much more to learn. I got completely addicted and had planned on upgrading to a semi auto over the winter. Looks like it will be middle of the summer or next fall before I'm ready to go ahead and buy the new shotgun though. I'm now sitting here with several months until any matches and thinking I want to shorten the stock on my Nova. Length of pull has always been a long and I want to shorten it up 1 inch. My plan is to cut and sand a wood block down until it fits snugly into the hollow stock and then epoxy it into place so I have something to attach the butt pad to. First question is does anyone have a good way to hold the stock while on the chop saw to make sure it does not move? On the Nova the stock is part of the receiver so this is a measure 3 times, think about it some, and cut once type of operation. Second question is what would be a good epoxy to use that will bond to the wood and the material of the stock?

I have googled it, lots of videos for the Supernova, haven't really found any for the Nova. From my research the 20 gauage has another lip inside the stock that makes for easy shortening but my 12 gauge has no provision. I've got the process thought through I think except for finding a way to secure the stock/receiver assembly to ensure a nice clean straight cut. I'm not going for perfection, but I want to have a professional looking job once I'm done.

I shortened a Nova stock. I cut it by hand, then used sand paper, wrapped around a wood block to clean it up and make it really straight. For the inside... I used the removed plastic and wooden dowels to make the inside mount. Turned out good but next time I will use one piece of wood.

You are on the right track with attaching a block to the inside of the stock then screwing a grind to fit pad on to the block. Create some cuts and cavities inside the stock so your epoxy can flow in and make a mechanical lock.

I use a band saw with a fence set up to control length of cut and spacers under the wrist to keep the stock flat while cutting. Don’t worry so much about cutting a perfectly straight line with your saw, cut it about 1/16” too long then sand it to length and to a straight line. The synthetic stock is relatively easy to sand down with a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface (stand the stock up on the paper). I’ll use a 6” belt sander - but if you do, go slowly so you do not melt the synthetic.

Edited by GunCat

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and chopped the stock off last week. Turned out well, got a very straight cut with the chop saw and only needed some light sanding to clean it up. Grinding the new pad ended up being the most difficult part but turned out pretty good for free handing it. Much nicer to shoulder and shoot at a few clays so far. When the weather warms up I will shoot some slugs to see what if any change to POI. Always needed to aim about 6 inches high at 50 yards so I am hoping maybe will be a little closer to POA/POI with the change altering the drop/comb height a little bit.