Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Splits & Reload Times (+ turn and draw)

Flexmoney

The mother of all classifiers...El Prez.

Here are some actual match times.  I hope that make for a good comparison.  

Shot on 5-4-02.  Gun was a Glock 35 (Limited) without a magwell, without a tungsten guide rod, with a stock recoil spring.  

The splits aren't smokin'.  The transitions aren't smokin'.  The reload isn't smokin'.  The turn and draw isn't even near smokin'.  

The hits came it at 53 points (down 7).  Not real great.  Total time was 5.73 for a hit factor of 9.2496.  Came it at just over 85%...which is at the bottom of Master class.

The format is...shot #....split time...total running time.

#01    1.59     1.59   (turn and draw)

#02      .22     1.81   (T1 split)

#03      .29     2.10   (transition to T2)  

#04      .22     2.32   (T2 split)

#05      .30     2.62   (to T3)

#06      .24     2.86   (T3 split)

#07    1.49     4.35   (reload)

#08      .25     4.60   (T1 split

#09      .33     4.93   (swing to T2)

#10      .21     5.14   (T2 split)

#11      .34     5.48   (swing to T3)

#12      .25     5.73   (T3 split)

Since that time I have learned to turn and draw.  (1.59 isn't that great for a turn and draw at ten yards)

cm99-11.gif

hmmmm.

I shot it in Limited.  My data shows the high hit factor at ~ 10.8012  (just confirmed my score on the match website and on USPSA - A44001).

Did you get your score from the website or from Jake?  Jake's data shows the hhf at 13.159 (which would correspond with your score).

Maybe they changed it?  A three point jump is pretty big though.  That would take a clean run (for 100%) from about 5.5 seconds down to 4.5 seconds.  (Limited)

Could be.

That is my % per USPSA 10/19/02, maybe they reset the hhf or something. I know Max Michel is shooting it in under 3.59 per his website, for a hf of 15.3203.

Max's score for the El Pres was 3.59 Sec. with 55 pts. Hit Factor of 15.3203

A break down of the time:

Turn Draw: 1.04

Split: .15

Trans.: .21

Split: .13

Split: .10

Reload: .95

Trans.: .23

Split: .10

Total Time: 3.59 Sec.

That is why I was thinking maybe your score was production, or maybe someone down the line put my score in wrong. Just currious. Some of the hf's are freaking high and it seems that 13 is almost the magic number on speed shoots.

(Edited by Loves2Shoot at 7:59 am on Mar. 13, 2003)

• 2 years later...

I found this old thread while searching for El Pres draw times.

Flex, your post helped me stop beating myself up over my draw time.

Last week I happened to have a timer and three targets 2yds. apart at different heights already set up, so I timed two El Pres's. The first was a 1.78 draw with a 3.02 slide-lock reload. The second was a regular speed reload of 2.11 sec. and a 1.56 draw. Even though I have not been doing any live-fire turn and draws lately, I felt terrible about the draw time.

My splits on the second one were .20-.26 and transitions were .30-.41. Total time was a hair over 6.50.

Hopefully practice will get the draw within .2 of my standing draw.

Scorch,

At the time of that (1st) post, I was likely somewhere around A or B class. I shot it in Limited, in a match.

The times that L2S posted are from a practice run by USPSA National's Champ, Max Michel...shooting Open.

I shot it again in a match this year (Ohio Section). Shooting Production...56 points, 5.39 seconds, 10.3896 hit factor. That came in at 100% nationally. I don't have the break down of the times for that one.

-------------------

JD45,

You ought to be able to get your turn-n-draw really close to your stand-n-draw. A huge part of this is to snap your head around and find the first target. You head will be well "ahead" of the rest of your body.

Scorch,

I think I was A L10 at the time of the post

When I practice this drill these are my goal times (all A's, 12 HF) :

1.3 draw

.21 split

.28 transition

.21 split

.28 transition

.21 split

1.3 reload

.21 split

.28 transition

.21 split

.28 transition

.21 split

GM Limited

I would rather have a good solid run on this one, than a crappy, reckless one. I've run a couple blazin' ones, but I stuggle more with seeing good shots than going too slow. Sometimes the selector switch gets stuck on full auto ;)

Accuracy first. Maybe that should be my new tag line.

Thanks Guys

I figured L2S were GM times, Flex, That is a Good Run for A Class on prez in theses parts-Smokin

Thanks again. Now I know What to Look for When I practice this. If I ever Practice.