Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor steel traps/boxes?

rodgers65

We convinced a local indoor range to do some pistol matches this year, which has been fun. But they have told us no steel targets, due to the splatter. One guy mentioned he’s been to USPSA matches where they built a box around the steel to prevent the splatter. I’ve been searching for a while, but haven’t found any info on something like that, at least not for real guns.

Does anyone have experience with these, know if they work and how they are built? Something cheap/easy would be great (just how I like my women).

Thanks!

We convinced a local indoor range to do some pistol matches this year, which has been fun. But they have told us no steel targets, due to the splatter. One guy mentioned he’s been to USPSA matches where they built a box around the steel to prevent the splatter. I’ve been searching for a while, but haven’t found any info on something like that, at least not for real guns.

Does anyone have experience with these, know if they work and how they are built? Something cheap/easy would be great (just how I like my women).

Thanks!

We built a 3 sided box made of OSB with 2x4s on the bottom and tops of the side walls. You can tie the bottoms together with 1x2 or 2x2 for stability, but it is not really necessary. You can also do the same thing if you put the 2x4 on top of the side walls and fasten the top on into the 2x4s to make sure they are stable. You may have to adjust them a bit, but we used 2 foot wide by apx. 4 foot tall. That way you can get 4 out of each 4x8 sheet.

They work very well.

I have seen them made out of regular plywood, 1/2 minimum but OSB tends to be cheaper around here.

Watch the sheets after use, they tend to get jacket stuck in them and they can be like a razor.

Jay

I tried to post a link but it would go to the thread for a second and then toggle to a different thread. Not sure what the deal is with that.

The thread is on page 2 of the Steel Challenge section about the 4th one down. Title is "Indoor Steel".

Edited by ToddKS

Look at videos of how they shoot the Euro Steel Challenge Championships. They use what looks like motorcycle tires and rubber strips around the steel to control the splatter. I would guess they use tires with smaller sidewalls to lessen the chance of rounds bouncing back from a big flat car tire sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk