Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Loads for Senior Shooter

Duane Thomas

Over on my web site, I have a post from a guy who mentions (not in the post I'm about to link to, but in his Introduce Yourself post elsewhere on the board) that he got his first gun in 1949. Doing the math in my head, I figure he must be WELL into his 70s, if not 80s. He's asking for info on .308 loads, and I don't have the knowledge base to help him. Could any of our more knowledgeable .308ers go over there and help him out?

Here's a link:

http://self-defense-handguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=141.0

Thanks in advance, guys.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Depends on what he attends to accomplish, ie target shooting, varmint, etc. But, for minimal 308 recoil as the only requirement I recommend a light bullet pushed by fast powder. Something in the 110 or 125gr range and a powder such as Reloder 7 or equivalent. I've used that combo for creating a hoser load for close up 3 gun matches where a velocity and ballistic coefficient is of no advantage. Again, depends on what he wants to do. If its hunting then that would obviously change things.

Depends on what he attends to accomplish, ie target shooting, varmint, etc. But, for minimal 308 recoil as the only requirement I recommend a light bullet pushed by fast powder. Something in the 110 or 125gr range and a powder such as Reloder 7 or equivalent. I've used that combo for creating a hoser load for close up 3 gun matches where a velocity and ballistic coefficient is of no advantage. Again, depends on what he wants to do. If its hunting then that would obviously change things.

Indeed. :)

Thanks, Joseph. Happy holidays to you, too. :)

Not really sure if he's looking for "reduced". 70s doesn't necessarily = feeble. It might be an idea to ask first exactlly what he's looking for.

Right you are. Reread his post and gave some advise on a better flowing rifle powder. IMHO that is. :)

My father in law was in his 70's with a bad heart. I gave him a Remington 600, and loaded ammo for him using 125gr bullets with SR4759 powder. It worked fine. IMR is talking about ending SR4759 production next year, so if he goes that route, he needs to act quickly.

• 1 month later...