Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting 650

Quick question:

Best place I can mount the 650 is in a corner of my reloading room. I'm doing it to keep the big blue beautiful out of the middle of the room.

So, before I commit with drilling into my bench, I wanted to make sure there's nothing I'm over looking by placing it too near the wall. I've never done a caliber swap or had to trouble shoot any issues on this press and I want to make sure I won't regularly need unobstructed access to the right side of the press. For all I know, swapping the primer system may make this cumbersome. The picture below has the outside of the roller handle 2.5" from the wall and the edge of the strong mount 6 3/4" away from the wall. I figured this is about as close as I'd feel comfortable operating the press.

Is this too close? Any other suggestion?

Thanks

First of all, your bench is way too clean! My main concern is the rigidity of the bench, weight/bolted to the floor/wall etc. Hard to tell from photo it might be a little too close to side wall. Try to do caliber changeover before you drill any holes and maybe simulate loading some rounds. I would also worry about some power spillage (its going to happen) getting into your laptop.

Your setup is almost identical to mine with the exception that I have a 7' tall set of stacked tool boxes on the right side of mine. You should have no problems with any caliber changes or maintenance of the machine. As mentioned, you will need to anchor the bench to both walls for rigidity. I would suggest you visit your local hardware store and buy 4 T-nuts (1/4 x 20 with teeth) and install them in the under side of the bench. This is the easiest way to be able to remove the machine from the bench if you need the full bench top for another project. You'll also want a light somewhere above your head for obvious reasons.

Have fun!

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and called Dillon who recommended having the strong mount 12" away from the wall and no less than 10". I mounted it at 10" and feel it's a good compromise. Went ahead and remounted the Lee and it's quick disconnect bracket.

Thanks for the suggestion on the T-nuts. That's a great suggestion. I have an identical bench I use for all other projects so I'm hoping I won't have to take this one down at any point. As far as the lighting, that's one of my other hobbies and I've got a bunch of LEDs and components on hand to get some nice lighting.

Going to try things without bolting the bench down first. If I end up needing it I'll get back to the drawing board and drum up a solution.

Hoping I'll get to make a few rounds on it this evening.

BigBlueBeautyMounted.jpg

Going to try things without bolting the bench down first. If I end up needing it I'll get back to the drawing board and drum up a solution.

Cut a sheet of 3/4" plywood and notch out the corners and set it on the bottom leg braces. Now you have a place for all of your bullets and brass. A few hundred pounds that low will make the bench much less likely to move around.

Jmorris has the right idea about the low weight. I have a similar shelf setup and keep brass, tumbler full of media, bullets, etc. However, over the years the shelf has started to buckle, so when I took it out to flip it I also put to blocks of wood parallel to short legs just under the shelf level. I also find that plastic 40lb Kitty Litter buckets work great for brass. One for each caliber dirty and one for each caliber clean. And bring a couple to RO lost-brass matches, and they all fit under the bench and weigh it down.

My "bench" is just wire shelving, but it probably has 10,000 cases sitting on shelves underneath. It barely moves and the press does not shake at all. if I had to guess, my press is probably about 10-12" from the wall. I wouldn't put it any closer because from time to time you need to be able to peek at something from the right side.