Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon press with lee dies - using powder die

MPD

am looking to purchase a 550b. I am currently reloading on a classic turret.

I have been reading on this post that was previously

The post states that I can use Lee dies. However, I have a question about how to setup the Dillon 550b powder dispencer with the lee powder die???

For reference see this youtube video (mark 3:30 - 3:50): tried to enter a video link... but not allowed yet.

Would anyone have pictures to post on their set up or a video tutorial how to setup?

Thank you

get the Dillon powder die, it's like 12 bucks.

The powder funnel for the Dillon powder drop die comes with the conversion kit for the 550.

It all works with the Dillon powder measure perfectly.

Use lee for the sizer, seater and crimp dies.

get the Dillon powder die, it's like 12 bucks.

The powder funnel for the Dillon powder drop die comes with the conversion kit for the 550.

It all works with the Dillon powder measure perfectly.

Use lee for the sizer, seater and crimp dies.

This is exactly what I was thinking... but wasn't sure if this was the route to go.

IMG_0632_zps30b8f232.jpg

Dillon die body, Lee powder drop insert on left compared to Dillon on right. It's been over a year since I did this, so I don't recall everthing, but it seems to me like I had to turn the Lee insert diameter down, plus make the spacer for on top. From there, the Dillon powder measure doesn't know the difference.

I did this because I liked the taper that the Lee powder drop puts on the case more so than the Dillon. <-- Opinions on that may vary widely.

IMG_0632_zps30b8f232.jpg

Dillon die body, Lee powder drop insert on left compared to Dillon on right. It's been over a year since I did this, so I don't recall everthing, but it seems to me like I had to turn the Lee insert diameter down, plus make the spacer for on top. From there, the Dillon powder measure doesn't know the difference.

I did this because I liked the taper that the Lee powder drop puts on the case more so than the Dillon. <-- Opinions on that may vary widely.

So your telling me you CAN use the LEE powder dropping die with the DILLON powder droper?

A standard Lee sizing die is in station one on every pistol caliber I load and half have a Lee seating die. Use Lee's U die in

40 S@W. Lee's sizing die will size closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter than other brands. Big deal if you have a pistol

with a tight chamber. Seen several S-I pistols start running just switching to a Lee sizing die. If I'm using Lee's FCD I'll back it off

and just taper crimp with it. Loading on 550 and a 650. Lee dies will work fine.

I just switched to .40. Loading on a Dillon 650 and using some Lee dies. Prevously I loaded 9mm with dillon dies and everyting was perfiect and I never had any issues with my ammo. Now with the new caliber and dies I am having a problem.

I cant seem to get my sizer die low enough to size all the way down, there just arent enough threads on the die. Found this to be a problem because about 1 out of 100 rounds wont chamber due to the case not being sized correctly at the bottom. At lease I think its a sizing issue but could it just be a brass issue?

The sizing die should touch the shell plate with the ram up.

Some times you have to put the lock nut on the bottom of tool head with lee dies.

For 40 you may need the Lee Blulge Buster for glock brass.

Edited by UncleTK

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 550 with the dillon powder die but lee sizing and crimp dies and a redding competition seating die for 9mm. i have a buddy that has the same setup on a 1050 and he swears by it...

So you prefer the Lee factory crimp die vs the Dillon factory crimp die?