Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental Mechanics of Shooting Book

shred

I don't know if this is news, but yesterday I picked up a copy of "Mental Mechanics of Shooting", which I'd never seen before. A little web searching confirmed my suspicion that this is an updated version of "Freedom from Trigger Jerk", with a more marketing-friendly title.

I haven't read enough to write a review, but it seems they're big on getting into the flow (aka: zone), visualization, mental programming and getting the conscious mind out of the way when shooting.

145 pages, larger print, lots of all-caps words.

What's the take on the older Trigger Jerk book?

Ok, so all that shooting-lead-in-a-glock has gone to my brain.. I don't remember that thread at all.

But anyway, it's out and I have a copy. Iffen I get around to reading the rest of it (I have Matt's tapes on order), I'll post a review.

What I do know so far is A) the cover art is identical. B) the phrase 'Trigger Jerk' is used a lot and C) there's quite a bit of "once you get the hang of this { relaxing / centering / visualizing } exercise, your life will be lots better"-- sort of zen-without-the-zen, I suppose.

Well, I've now read the whole book and can safely say it has even less about the mechanics of shooting and equipment than Brian's book. It's all mental and barely even mentions a target or sights

It's all about getting into the 'flow' (aka Zone) and shooting relaxed and "centered". Visualization plays a huge part (they roll out the basketball visualization story too).

The first part covers how the mind works; conscious, subconscious and introduces "Centering", the "Flow", relaxation and visualization, as well as some interesting stuff on decisions and goal setting and why to do or not do it. In this part they give the "Mental Mechanics tools" which you use to work on your mind.

The second part is about putting the stuff from part 1 into action-- getting into the flow, using positive thinking and patience, visualization, consistency, competition and what a competitive attitude can do to you, relaxed-concentration and getting the right sort of confidence. There's some good stuff in here about expectations and performance and why we do badly when we expect to do well.

The third part is on trigger jerk-- mechanical and mental. They set out how to identify it and overcome the pesky mental issues. This section uses a lot of the stuff from the first two to get your head sorted out and behaving itself.

The fourth part is a bit about self-defense shooting and how you should be mentally prepared for it (it's a bit out of place from the rest of the book, but short)

The authors state pretty much everything can be done with proper visualization-- even some things that can't be fixed with live fire.

Since I haven't done the exercises, I have no idea if it works or not, but it at least makes sense and is something I'm willing to try out. It's kinda BE-Lite from a somewhat different angle with more 'mental-programming'. If you're the visualizing type, check it out.