Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video to Improve

Smitty79

I'd like to use video to help me improve. At a match, I can get someone to take cell phone video for post analysis. During home dry fire and range training, I am usually working alone.

What do you all recommend that I could mount to a tripod to get video of my practice sessions so that I can see my myriad of mistakes? Under $200 would be nice. The ability to use as "hat cam" isn't needed. It would be a plus, but I usually prefer a fisherman's hat to a ball cap when shooting.

I bought a Kodak Zx3 for about $60 on eBay. Its waterproof and I don't mind setting it up downrange on a small tripod (as long as its not close to steel). One thing I wish it had was a remote, but for practice it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd like to get a go pro, but the downrange feature (using a cheap camera) is nice. It let's me see what I'm doing with my hands and body better than a rear or side view.

I ended up buying an inexpensive point and shoot digital camera (Sony DSC-W830) that has video capabilities.

My selection was highly scientific and consisted of purchasing what was in stock and on sale the day I walked through the local Target.

It works fine, and the video quality is more than adequate for this purpose.

Edited by fishsticks

I bought a Kodak Zx3 for about $60 on eBay. Its waterproof and I don't mind setting it up downrange on a small tripod (as long as its not close to steel). One thing I wish it had was a remote, but for practice it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd like to get a go pro, but the downrange feature (using a cheap camera) is nice. It let's me see what I'm doing with my hands and body better than a rear or side view.

The Zx3 is nice, because you can throw it in your range bag and now worry about it at matches, even when it's raining. Takes great 720P for posting online. You doing your own stage analysis is good, but if you can get someone you trust to break it down for you that can be invaluable as well.

They do make a remote for the camera, but you need to be close to it for it to work. It would work great indoors.

For me the key was slow-motion. "The hand is quicker than the eye", so I couldn't see the (many) small inefficiencies which, which added up, were eating at my times.

Since the goal is just analysis, you don't need a super-expensive camera. 150-200 bucks will do the trick. It does take some extra light if you're filming slow-motion stuff indoors, so try it beforehand to get the feel.

I use the Tachyon camera and its great

How do you mount it? On a hat or muffs? I like the idea of a camera mounted on me, but I think it's hard to see how you are moving through the stage if you don't have video from behind your stage run.

Think I picked up a cannon HD video camera. Went on kijiji and found something in my price range and close to me.

Find some in your area and look at online reviews, if it's just to watch yourself training an El cheapo will do just fine.