Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading because of IDPA

Glock2234

My son and I have Para 14-45s we expected to use for CDP in IDPA. The recently released rule book has deleted any reference to particular guns and now only lists a maximum gun weight. Well, it seems the gun might be a little heavy.

Our only option at this point is to shoot in ESP against 9mm, etc. at 125 PF.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for shooting .45 cal. in a 125 PF division?

My first reaction is that you are going to have to look at loads with lighter bullet weights, if you want to keep the gun stock. A 125 pf with a 230gn bullet means you are going about 545fps. I'm not sure that will cycle the gun unless you lighten up the recoil springs.

A 200 means you need 625 fps, a 185 means 676fps. I don't have a manual with me, but you might be able to find some of the 185 loads.

Write back if you need some manual look-up info.

You're going to want light bullets like 155's or 185's, and ultra-fast powders like Clays, Bullseye, #2, or N310 (my personal fav). Oh, and light recoil springs.

I used 4.0gr N310 and a 200gr SWC for a steel load for a little while, probably around 155PF. Not really all that light, but it felt great compared to major loads and let me shoot fast. Great thing about .45 is it runs at such a low pressure that even mildly reduced loads feel poofy.

If it were me, I'd grab some 155gr SWC's and some N310, start around 3.5gr and see where that got me.

My P-14 did not like the short nose 152gr. Bull-X's You may have better luck with other designs. I had a light load for speed steel, using 185gr. with WST. Spring was about 10lbs.

edit- found my old notebook

180gr. SWC lead

4.0gr. WST

1.215"oal

673-740 fps depending on gun used.

Light loads used for indoor 50 ft Bullseye...all w 200gn SWC

3.5gn BE

3.6gn VV310 - expensive but clean

3.3gn Vectan (Noblesport) Ba-10 - cleaner than BE, not quite as clean as 310, very inexpensive from Grafs, even w the hazmat ($7/lb, $50 for 8)

/B