Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help me select the right progressive press for my needs

zhangla

550b with Mr Bullet Mini Bullet feeder, Dillon brass feeder, 2lb powder tube and 200 primer tube... 9mm... Started out as a 450 back in 1989. Dillon has upgraded it about 3 times over the years - no charge! except for the conversion to 550b...about $75. Best no BS warranty around...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot IDPA 9mm, about 1000-1500 rounds per month currently. Looking to increase the consumption to about 2500 rounds per month.

For the past few months, I have been using my single stage RCBS press. It has been painful and time consuming. I am ready to upgrade to a progressive system, but I have some unique needs...

1. Due to limited space and the lack of a good loading location, I have to set up and take down the press at least once a week. Basically I need my system to be fairly portable and can be stored in a box if not in use.

2. Aside from that, I just need a system to load 300-400 rounds 9mm per hour. That would be good enough for me. I probably do not need any feeders (case or bullet) to reduce the space needed, and makes the take-down easier I suppose.

Give those, I have been researching 3 machines:

- Dillon 650 (I really like the powder check, but without feeders, would 650 be just another 550?)

- Hornady LNL AP

- RCBS Pro 2000

I have seen Hornady LNL AP set up in my local Cabelas, and it is a monster in size. Does not look like it is easy to take it down and store it. I have no clue how big the Dillon or RCBS is at all.

Can someone with experience with these machines please provide some insights?

Thanks.

I have 3 1050s and 3 550s. At work I have a 550 I work up loads on (I work at a range) and when I get the most accurate load, take it to a 1050. I have it mounted on a 2x10 with clamps and can easily put it the closest or in car on a trip. I can comfortably do 400 - 450 RDSper hr with the electric vibra primers feeders. If I rush, I can do 600,,,no case feed needed...

Sounds just like what you need and later you can skip a 650 and jump to a 1050 and dedicate it for 9 mm and use your 550 got easy caliber conversions.....have fun! We also sold Hornady but quit because we had many more issues/comebacks then Dillon. It's a shame as the margins are much better then Dillon....C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy