Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Steelmaster thumb safety

Nimitz

Yeah, ran into my MD at the range today and after looking at what he had done to the right side thumb safety it's the Drexel for me. I'll also need to remove some material from the left side as well to keep from resetting it after the draw ... Keep forgetting in the world of 'open' there is nothing wrong with a little ghetto gunsmitting ....

• 2 weeks later...

the benefits are personal. because my grip is as high as possible and I have large hands, after I sweep the safety off it sometimes resets because the inside edge of the strong hand thumb is pushes on the safety. same reason I pinned the grip safety ... with a very high grip sometimes the safety won't disengage ...

You are left handed I'm guessing, is that correct?

If all you are using this for is steel, cut the thumb paddle off or narrow it to a sliver just so you could operate it from the left side and to make removal/installation a little easier.

If you intend to use this for uspsa and use a thumb high grip, I'd say keep some of the paddle for weak hand shooting. Worst case is you toast the safety and need to fit a new one, or weld back up the old one. Neither is a disaster.

Yeah buddy, a foredom is the machine to own...but one can still do some quick damage with a dremel, too! ;)

actually I'm right handed ... but yes, I intend to most likely remove most of the right side paddle, pretty much just like I saw on Mike's. although I haven't tried it yet, I think I'd be sweeping the safety off long before I transfer the gun to my weak hand (just like I do now for a regular draw) so having virtually no right side paddle shouldn't be an issue ...

I also have a 30,000 RPM Roto tool which will make quick work of the safety if the Demel is taking too long ... :)

Ok, at first it seemed like you wanted to cut down the left side paddle which is why I thought you were left handed.

If you want to get rid of the right side wouldn't it just be easier to get a non-ambidextrous safety and install/fit/profile that to fit your needs?

Did you put the pin in the paddle?

I saw that and (with his permission) did that on my open steel gun as I am running a 6 pound spring and needed something to keep from fat thumbing the slide. Works good!