Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger control&recoil control PLEASE.

gravedigger

Trigger control-dryfire and take notice of where the sights are when the trigger breaks. Start painfully slow and increase speed until you can flat slap it without moving the sights.

Recoil control-This often gets confused with grip and stance, and while they are important, focus on where the sights are in relationship to one another while the gun is cycling until you can track them and react to them with another sighted shot. OK, what I am saying is don't lean back-stand straight or slightly forward; don't crush the gun-your arms should be naturally extended(but not locked straight) and your knees bent will help with this. If you are doing these things, there should be no recoil control, just drive the gun.

BTW, I am just an A shooter who is still developing FWIW, but the fundamentals should be the foundation on which you build your game. Speed is nothing without discipline.

How do you practice trigger control or recoil control.

When and where exactly do you apply these things? :unsure::lol:

Seriously, I only learned trigger control when I actually started to shoot groups in slow fire. I learned I can have the most perfect trigger control dry firing the gun and yet it all goes to hell in live fire. But I'm not saying you should not practice working the trigger with an empty gun. Gun familiarity is important and you build this in dry fire, without the distraction of it making loud noises. ;

As for recoil control, I always see it as recoil management. You can't control it nor should you try to. You only work with it. This part needs some live fire practice, probably a bill drill or some berm-only shooting. Be aware of what the gun is doing when you're shooting it. When you do, chances are you might not need to do anything.

;) HTH.

Trigger control: Place your finger on the trigger in a comfortable manner. For example, I use a short trigger, when I should use a long one in order to pull it straight back. This means I have to reposition my trigger finger to pull it without disturbing the sights.

Also, I don't slap it ALA Rob Leatham or Todd Jarret. I smoothly press it to the rear on the first shot (single action, I mean I don't take the slack in the trigger and then break the shot, I give it one pull in a single motion), all subsequent shots I let the trigger go only past the reset point. Trigger pull/press is a very personal aspect of shooting, like grip in general. You must find out what works for YOU.

Dryfire will help lots.

Recoil management: Cant your support hand forward in order to "springload" your muscles and when you fire that hand will naturally return to its canted position. Put your weight forward. Lower your center of gravity.Finally, I pull (or perhaps I should say I shove) the gun forward in recoil, but perhaps you shouldn't try this until you figured some other things out, since it can induce a flinch if you are not careful.

I found out that a great help in managing recoil is to watch the sights, if I'm just blasting without seeing the sights the gun jumps around in my hand a lot, but when actually shooting at a target and I know where my sights are (either by peripheral/non focused vision or when actually focusing on them) I manage recoil much much better.