Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.5 recoil spring

robport

I've been using my XDM 4.5 9mm for about 10 months now in IDPA.

Before you tell me to get the 5.25, if I had known what I was doing at the time, I would have gotten one. I have a wife, so that isn't an option right now.

I'm just getting to the point where I am starting to work on speed and I feel the gun is the limit now for follow-up shots.

No matter how I clamp the gun in my hands, lock my wrists, etc, I feel like it returns past center and I have to yank it back up on target for the second shot.

I'm using 124 grain Xtreme plated bullets and loading to about 1050 fps (130 PF) and also shooting Federal 115 grain standard target loads (about 135 PF).

I just ordered a lighter recoil spring from Wolff to try, a 16#.

Does anyone else have experience with this gun and adjusting springs?

You are on the right track to stop the gun from dipping when the slide returns. With the factory spring my XD Tactical would do the same thing. Springs are cheap so experiment to see what stops yours from dipping and also gives you a solid lock up when the slide returns and you will be good.

I run a 14 lb recoil spring in my 5.25 along with a PRP trigger kit that includes a reduced power striker spring. That setup definately cuts the recoil dip effect I had prior and when shooting heavy bullets over a light charge of fast powder it shoots incredibly flat. If you don't like the 16lb spring and want to go lighter you may need to change striker springs to keep the gun functioning properly.