Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L open gun

tdrake2406

Hey guys my first post here, I have been reading up a lot on here but have a question in regards to my 9L that you might be able to help me answer. I have been working on converting my 9L slowly to open gun just to shoot open steel. I saw some people quadra port their guns and others will add a comp to the end of the barrel. If you were shooting JUST steel and wanted something with low recoil to jump into open with what would be the best way to go? I thought the magnaport would be nice to have as I wouldn't be adding anymore length to my gun but didn't know if an actual comp would be better with recoil. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have tried both with an M&P Core w a Deltapoint red dot - felt recoil and muzzle rise was about the same using factory 115 gr ammo with either a comp or magnaport. Its likely the comp may work a bit better if you step up to major PF. ..............

Here is a video where Miculek talks about Mag-Na-Port's quad porting in several different platforms including the M&P Pro Core and utilizes high speed video to demonstrate the difference in recoil and muzzle rise. The M&P discussion starts around the 4 minute mark and then again towards the last third of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6dWDFcoFFs