Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific 9mm Major w/holes info

Noximus03

I can understand that, Glenn. I just ran through 8.4, 8.6, and 8.8 test loads today. They obviously got a little bit faster as I went up, but it was cloudy out at the range, and I got a couple of errors back from the chrono. I did notice that there wasn't much change at all in feel, or muzzle flip between the loads, other than it being heavier in the hand. I wish I could get my hands on some AA#7. I'd love to try some....then there's this powder shortage thing standing in my way.....

Noximus03 ^^^^^^^^^^ 115's, right? ^^^^^^^^^

Is that a compressed load?

Hey Chris, yes. 115 Rainier JHP's. It's compressed, but not too bad. Brass and primers look really good, but the performance is great.

I know guys do it, but it scares me a little. I have never used compressed loads.

Thanks for the info.

I get that. I ran a G17 open gun before this, and I was seriously nervous getting compressed with that as the chamber is not as well supported. The brass looks so much better out of a 2011. I would say work your way up and give it a shot.

What gives you the impression that if the bullet is touching slower powder X there is more chamber pressure then if the bullet is not touching faster powder Y?

Every 9 major load I've ever loaded has been compressed to one extent or another and what I've found is that the powders begin to yield lower velocities when you push them too far, but the primers don't look any flatter. In fact, I see much flatter primers from shooters loading 124s over powder like autocomp than I do loading 115s over SP2.

If you ever shoot at volusia I will let you try a few of my AA7 loads.

I'm not 100% sure I'll make the next one on the 1st, but I'll be at SAPSA this weekend. I'll hit you up and we can work something out for another time. Thanks for the offer!