Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with picking out a front sight

Canderson

I just ordered a Stag 3gh upper, I will be running this in local matches, I am guessing in Tac - irons at least for a while.

I have always had ARs with front sight posts this will be my first that does not have one.

My question is how do I attach a front sight. I have seen the gas block combos, but wasn't sure if that was an option with the 3Gh since it looks like the gas block is under the hand guard ( I could be totally wrong here).

I will use a Magpul Buis that I already have for the rear sight, plus an eotech I already have, but a little lost on a good option for the front sight.

I would like to keep the sight/mount under $100 if possible.

Thanks!!

I would buy a clamp on railed gas block and put it as far out on the end of the barrel as possible. At that point you can mount whatever front sight you want. The reason I wouldn't mount something to the rail is that the rail or barrel can flex and cause your POI to vary. Mounting the front sight to the barrel can help mitigate this.

I would buy a clamp on railed gas block and put it as far out on the end of the barrel as possible. At that point you can mount whatever front sight you want. The reason I wouldn't mount something to the rail is that the rail or barrel can flex and cause your POI to vary. Mounting the front sight to the barrel can help mitigate this.

This. Some forearms are stiff enough to handle sight mounting, some aren't even close. The JP, for example, is a great handguard, but it flexes quite a bit under pressure, you wouldn't want a sight mounted on the end of it.

Besides, with irons, sight radius is everything. Get that sucker out there as far as you can. Just because the functional gas block is under the handguard doesn't mean you can't put another one out near the muzzle.

Edited by dcloudy777

Thanks guys, great info!!

I will mull this over, I am thinking the Magpul due to it being cheap and easily mounted to the fore end. This may work since I will have the Eotech and the sight will be a back up.

On the other hand I may eventually want to mount the Eotech on my defensive rifle. In which case I would like some solid sights capable of being primary sights. Also this would be the best way to extend the sight radius as much as possible (as mentioned above). I may just cross this road when I get there, knowing myself I will be putting a nice optic on the 3g most likely...

Any way thanks for the insight and mounting options this is exactly the info I was hoping for!