Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintaining Grip

jstagn

My guess is that you are crowding the barricade. If this is the case, then back up a bit so you don't have to change your grip. How far? In my opinion (others on here may disagree), you want to be far enough away from the barricade that you can swing towards another target array without having to change your frame - so a little past arms length.

When possible (sometimes it is not), choose shooting positions where you do not have to compromise your shooting 'frame.' To me, 'frame' means the position you would take if you were shooting at one paper target directly in front of you - your gun is in the middle of your chest (relatively), and your extended arms and back make a triangle.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using Ben Stoeger's book Skills and Drills and there are some drills that force you to shoot very difficult shots around barricades. In these drills you have to bend your wrists to hit the targets (at least tahrs the way I did it). I was surprised at how accurate I could be by shooting with the gun fairly close to my face and bent around a corner. You just have to give a little more time for the sights to return by themselves and use good trigger control.

He also recommends avoiding repositioning your body as your shooting multiple targets from a difficult barricade. You should extend your body out as far as needed for the most difficult shot and shoot them all in this position. This worked well for the hands on the Xs scenario. I was able to extend my body way out there and I'm sure it looks pretty weird, so I assume that as long as my hands are on the marks anything goes.

Following this book is forcing me to practice the hard stuff.

I'm old enough to have lost lot's of flexibility so if it's a real stretch I'll hang onto the barricade and shoot one handed. If not I tend to fall off the edge of it and lose time getting back on it. Otherwise I do as has been mentioned above.

• 4 weeks later...

I started using Ben Stoeger's book Skills and Drills and there are some drills that force you to shoot very difficult shots around barricades. In these drills you have to bend your wrists to hit the targets (at least tahrs the way I did it). I was surprised at how accurate I could be by shooting with the gun fairly close to my face and bent around a corner. You just have to give a little more time for the sights to return by themselves and use good trigger control.

He also recommends avoiding repositioning your body as your shooting multiple targets from a difficult barricade. You should extend your body out as far as needed for the most difficult shot and shoot them all in this position. This worked well for the hands on the Xs scenario. I was able to extend my body way out there and I'm sure it looks pretty weird, so I assume that as long as my hands are on the marks anything goes.

Following this book is forcing me to practice the hard stuff.

this

• 3 weeks later...