Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Freedom Munitions .40 velocity in 5" bushing

bluedevil008

I reload almost all of my ammo, but sometimes shoot factory remans if I don't have time. Last time I chrono'd Freedom Munitions .40 180gr RNFP I wrote down the velocity at around mid 880's. That's not making major. The website says they should be making around 990.

I am using an STI Eagle 5" with a bushing barrel.

Does anyone have any trouble with making major with this ammo? I have a major match next weekend and I don't think I'll be able to reload any before then.

If I remember right, match ammo use to be guaranteed to make (select one) major or minor power factor if it was delivered by the manufacture at that time and used at a participating match. NOW, reading the description form Precision Delta, I do not see any power factor guarantee.

I shoot a CZ Tac Sport which I believe is a 5.4 inch barrel. I've chrono'd the Freedom a lot of times. I wish it did but it just doesn't quite make it. It is VERY consistent though and great practice ammo. But the 180s just don't make major. Readings are consistently 890-900.

Ok, so I'm not going completely crazy! I wonder what Freedom will do if I can prove they are consistenly WAY off their claim of 990fps...

Won't do me any good this upcoming match, I'll probably still shoot it, and just shoot minor if I have to.

mjohn, is Precision Delta the match ammo sponsor of the TN section match? Otherwise what are you referring to? And how would I go about securing that if they are?

Ok, so I'm not going completely crazy! I wonder what Freedom will do if I can prove they are consistenly WAY off their claim of 990fps...

Won't do me any good this upcoming match, I'll probably still shoot it, and just shoot minor if I have to.

mjohn, is Precision Delta the match ammo sponsor of the TN section match? Otherwise what are you referring to? And how would I go about securing that if they are?

No for the TN Match.

Here is the link that will explain the service to you.

http://www.uspsa.org/ammo/index.php

I thought I remembered some time ago, where an ammo manufacture agreed (and USPSA approved it) that if you used their ammo (which was purchased and sent to the match) that it met the proper power factor. No questions asked an you were automatically approved at the chrono station for the appropriate PF. However, sometimes I do not remember so well and maybe this might be the case, or maybe I am missing some details, but I think I am right.