Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

replacement sears for para

John Thompson

John,

I have been researching this quite a bit lately. There are lots of good post on here and on the 1911forum that you might check out.

EGW makes a "hard sear" that seems top notch. You will want a tool steel part, I'd think. The cheaper stuff would likiely last well enough for carry, but I figure you want to shoot the heck out of it.

For about $60-65, you can get a whole EGW fire control group from Brownell's.

Why not practice on what you have. Then if it goes bad then replace it with EGW

When I called EGW to get them to do a trigger job on my para they insisted that the para group was junk and I needed a new hammer and sear. Didn't have the money at the time, so I never did it. A guy we shoot with does great trigger jobs for his friends only as a hobby. He has no problem getting a good trigger pull out of the para set.

My stock Para Trigger lasted about 4 years. I had a trigger adjustment of the factory stuff early on. Just replaced hammer and sear about 3 months ago with a STI hammer, EGW Sear and Sear Spring. Work both times was done by Steve Moore in Denver with excellant results. Had Steve Replace the parts when the trigger was getting sloppy and not reseting consistently. Before it was about 2-1/2# pull. Now it is a little under 2#.

Why not practice on what you have. Then if it goes bad then replace it

That's what I was thinking. I won't be shooting this gun a lot but I'm borrowing the jig and other related tools so I wanted to make sure I get a few years from the stock parts.

I noticed the EGW sear was Rc-60+ when all the others were in the 50 range, will the EGW be to hard to stone?