Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 160 gr

ouluckydogu

Tried the search function with no luck, so I will just ask. Was ordering some coated bullets, 150 gr swc from Bayou bullets and saw they had some 160 gr coated lrn and got the sample pack.

I would like to use unique powder, because I already have a bunch, and need a starting load for the 160`s.

Has anyone tried this heavy of a bullet in 9mm. The pistol is a xdm 5.25 and shoots 147 gr flat points just fine, over 3.8 grs unique.

Thanks

Lucky

First question: do you have a chronograph?

a. No

a.1. get a chrono

b. Yes

b.1. see below:

Here's what I do when working "off the charts": make a ratio of the bullet weights, multiply by the charge weight and that's generally a safe starting point as the charge weight tends to go down less than that for the same PF.

Disclaimer: be safe, take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt and do your own extrapolation.

I've running 1000's of 160 and 168gr bullets but not many with a slow powder like unique. The problem I had with unique and PP was that the POI at 45ft was about a 1.5in higher than normal if I remember right. I can tell you that right now I load a 160gr bullet with 3.2gr's of aa2 at a OAL of 1.110 so your charge should be safe.

When you get into heavy bullet OAL changes pressures really fast.

I have a question for you tho, Whats the max OAL you can seat that bullet?

Edited by thompsoncustom