Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally managed to stick a case

Of course it had to happen in the trim die. The one die I do not stock a duplicate of.

Any advice on removal?

I did try taping (Hammering) it out with a rod but alas it didn't work.

How did it happen you ask? Well let's just say 223 brass requires lube.

Probably going to need to purchase a stuck removal tool. Soak both the die and stuck case in penetrating oil over night and place the unit in the freezer overnight before trying to unstick the two.

Next time use imperial sizing wax.

No worries you are not the first and will not be the last. I can honestly say I have done it a couple times. While I love Hornady One shot lube on pistol cases...the only time I ever stuck a rifle case was using One shot aerosol. therefore I converted to Imperial sizing wax.

I remember thinking something was wrong and that I should probably not force it. I was right. Something was wrong and I should not have forced it. Since the (308 Redding) die did not look the same after I got done ruining screwdrivers and other objects trying to pound the case out through the removed decapper opening, I tossed it yesterday after sitting on my bench for more than a year with the case still in it. The case didn't look the same either btw and neither did the Workmate.

That said, the solution was one that you know very well, called Gunstop. :)

Thanks DEP44

I need a spare die anyway. This is the one an old friend resurrected from a rusty grave in the first place. Dillon will get a call today.

I have an RCBS stuck case removal tool that has served me well back before I went blue. But since I converted to Dillon in 1995 I haven't stuck a case.

Case is in the freezer soaking in oil. Perhaps tonight or tomorrow night I will make another attempt. I will let you guys know what happens.

Gt

If, and this is a big if, but its worked for me more then once; unscrew the decapping rod and remove it out the top of the die, you might not be able to pass it through the neck of the case when its stuck in the die, then use a rod of some kind and a mallet to tap the case out of the die while the die is in the press.

If, and this is a big if, but its worked for me more then once; unscrew the decapping rod and remove it out the top of the die, you might not be able to pass it through the neck of the case when its stuck in the die, then use a rod of some kind and a mallet to tap the case out of the die while the die is in the press.

The OP says it was stuck in a trim die. To my knowledge, there's no decapping rod in a trim die. ;)

You are correct in both counts. There is no decap per in the trim die but the rod through the top of the die worked. I have the stick case removed.

I used an old drill bit that just barely fit through the opening of the case mouth. Couple decent whacks with a 2lb hammer and bam it was out.

I did go ahead and order the spare die today, never know when it will be needed.