Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazine Problem

Chris Rhines

An interesting little problem has surfaced with my otherwise much-loved Glock 35. I've had a few failure-to-feed malfunctions, in which the bullet nose contacts the bottom edge of the feed ramp and hangs up. A good smack on the butt of the magazine usually clears it, but still...

A couple things to mention:

- My 15-round and 20-round magazines are all Glock 33 mags, with .357 Sig followers. The followers appear identical except for the stamps, and the magazines are dimensionally identical as best I can measure. However, with the factory Glock 35 10-round mags, I don't have any problems.

- I've had the problem both with my stock Glock guide rod assembly, and my aftermarket Glockmeister steel guide rod (captive, 16# ISMI spring.)

Any guesses? Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Chris

An interesting little problem has surfaced with my otherwise much-loved Glock 35. I've had a few failure-to-feed malfunctions, in which the bullet nose contacts the bottom edge of the feed ramp and hangs up. A good smack on the butt of the magazine usually clears it, but still...

A couple things to mention:

- My 15-round and 20-round magazines are all Glock 33 mags, with .357 Sig followers. The followers appear identical except for the stamps, and the magazines are dimensionally identical as best I can measure. However, with the factory Glock 35 10-round mags, I don't have any problems.

- I've had the problem both with my stock Glock guide rod assembly, and my aftermarket Glockmeister steel guide rod (captive, 16# ISMI spring.)

Any guesses? Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Major or minor PF loads? For minor, your recoil springs too heavy.....

I'd investigate mag and recoil spring changes --- stronger mag springs and possibly weaker recoil spring. Replace one at a time and test. If you want to figure out quickly if you've fixed the problem, fire one handed with a topped off gun. That first shot should answer your question in my experience.....

Chris,

I had the same issues as you're having last year with my 35. It only happened on the last few rounds in the mag. I put in fresh ISMI mag springs and new followers and it still happened, although very infrequently. It never happened with the 10 round mags.

Funny thing is that it would NEVER happen with my G22 using the same mags. I now shoot the G22 in LTD - not because of the phantom feeding issues - I just like it better.

Hah-hah! I think I found the problem!

I pulled out my magazie catch and discovered that it was considerably worn down, almost like it had been used with steel-bodied magazines.

I built it up with J-B Weld and ground it down smooth, reinstalled it, and now my magazine feed lips sit about twenty thou higher than before.

We'll see how that works - the range is snowed in today, but my .40 action proving dummies seem to feed well.

- Chris

• 2 months later...