Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 load data

seanc

Starting to sort out my Wife's ammo for nationals(mr bullet means I can run the machine lefty Doug...).

A very common almost defacto load, speer police range once fired brass(bought here 1k for the match), 147g plated xtreme RN bullet, 3.3 of TG loaded to 1.125 with a 379 crimp, pulllled bullet there is zero ring on them. In the CZ SP01 this load is almost impossibly consistent, 905-910 fps shooting 15 rounds over the chrono.

Through the 929 this load is 855-865, so 50 fps slower on average and right at 125-127 pf. Definitely nothing you would knowingly take to a match.

I figure I will need 3.5-6 to get up to 900fps with these bullets anyways.

I had heard from an early 929 owner that his prod load was not making power factor and my load makes it by a to close for comfort margin.

Something to keep in mind.

Edited by seanc

My production load (147s over Power Pistol) are also about 50 FPS slower out of my 929 than my 5" autos.

Shot a falling steel match this weekend - after about 40 rounds the cylinder is HOT - much worse than the same count with my 627 and the same load in 38 SC brass.

Will be bringing a cooler next time.

:goof:

PS make sure you shoot multiple 7 shot moons and then check the last round for bullet pull.......wink wink....at .379

DougC

I eye balled a couple and they looked good, obviously not scientific enough, but this is on my todo list next time...

A 376 crimp in these bullets put a groove in them. I don't know what to think about whether that effects accuracy or not.

My production load (147s over Power Pistol) are also about 50 FPS slower out of my 929 than my 5" autos.

Shot a falling steel match this weekend - after about 40 rounds the cylinder is HOT - much worse than the same count with my 627 and the same load in 38 SC brass.

When I first started out, I was shooting 4.0 of titegroup in 38 special. When you get to the end of a 32 round course, the cylinder and barrel are burning hot...

Went to Clays in Long Colt, its no comparison...

When I first started out, I was shooting 4.0 of titegroup in 38 special. When you get to the end of a 32 round course, the cylinder and barrel are burning hot...

Went to Clays in Long Colt, its no comparison...

I'll be working up a load with N320 this Winter now that powder supply is somewhat back to normal. Power Pistol is all I had enough of to get me though the summer, and barely at that. I was loading about a lb a week through July and August!

Have you though about something heavier? You don't have to meet the standard OAL of 9mm in the 929. You could load some heavy ~160gr RN loaded long. I would bet the most of the 38 Short Colt loads running 160gr bullets would work equally well in 9mm given how close case volumes are.

Have you though about something heavier? You don't have to meet the standard OAL of 9mm in the 929. You could load some heavy ~160gr RN loaded long. I would bet the most of the 38 Short Colt loads running 160gr bullets would work equally well in 9mm given how close case volumes are.

Yes...I have 6k 160 bayou's here along with alot of 158g berrys(357's) and I just ordered 500 of the xtreme 165(356) plated to try as well.

Will be trying TY's double secret don't share with the hippies n310 load, but will use clays....

:goof:

PS make sure you shoot multiple 7 shot moons and then check the last round for bullet pull.......wink wink....at .379

DougC

They do pull somewhat with this Speer brass sized with the Dillon sizer.

I did this with three separate rounds.

starting OAL 1.125

once around 1.133

twice around 1.140

third around 1.147

When I started, the crimp was 376 with a deep indentation in the bullet. I will bring the crimp back down some and retest.

Edited by seanc