Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Short Colt: Can someone use 38 spl Dillon die set?

From what I gathered, it seems the recommendation is to use 38spl resizing die with 9mm seating and crimping dies for the 38 short colt. So, why wouldn't 38 spl seating and crimping dies work for the 38 sc? Also, would Dillon 9mm seating and crimping dies work for the 38 sc?

I have a Dillon RL550B and I am currently reloading 9mm, 45acp. I don't see 38 sc conversion kit from Enos's online store.

You will need a 38 special resizing die, and then a 9mm seater and 9mm taper crimp die. It is pretty simple. You are loading the case to 9mm OAL so using the seater and taper crimp works well. You will need to use more taper crimp on the case than you would on a semi auto cartridge the keep the bullet from jumping.

DougC

Thanks Doug. I suppose the standard 38spl seating and crimping dies are too long for the 38sc to work properly, correct? Can I use Dillon 9mm dies for this purpose or do I need Lee or RCBS dies? I have both Dillon 9mm die set and 38spl/357 die set available.

You will need a 38 special resizing die, and then a 9mm seater and 9mm taper crimp die. It is pretty simple. You are loading the case to 9mm OAL so using the seater and taper crimp works well. You will need to use more taper crimp on the case than you would on a semi auto cartridge the keep the bullet from jumping.

DougC

A customer emailed on this today too. (Confirmed by Lee at Dillon.) Coincidence, or not?

DougC

A customer emailed on this today too. (Confirmed by Lee at Dillon.) Coincidence, or not?

Brian, it was me who emailed you regarding specific Dillon products. Given the popularity of the 38sc among revolver shooters, it would be nice to see a conversion kit available in your store. Anyway, I got my question answered and to add to Doug Carden's reply, the power die should also be the 9mm one. Thanks.