Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a Classifier in Two Divisions

Graham Smith

I know how to do this in EZWS but never considered doing this in PractiScore. Do you just enter the Shooter twice? I can see how this might get confusing when scoring - too easy to grab the wrong entry and enter scores for it.

If you are running one scoring device per stage, would you only enter the shooter twice on the classifier stage device?

Enter the shooter for one division, and again for the other division. It keeps them separate.

When scoring Division, shooter, and stage are all shown on the scoring page - double check.

If the person is only shooting the extra gun on the classifier then that will still show up as a very low scoring person in the overalls. The way around that is to make a copy of the match, zap the extra people, and use that one for posting or finals.

This is common enough that we probably will be adding a "reshoot for classification" option that will keep multiples cores, but use first for the match score, and submit the best for the activity.

I suppose, a setting for "only classifiers" on a registration would also be useful to avoid these entries in the overalls.

Ken N.

Ken, for what it's worth, ezwinscore lets you register a shooter multiple times, and it specifically asks you the 2nd and subsequent times if this is a re-entry. You say 'yes' and the competitor is registered again. You then score him normally, though in the list of competitors for score entry (squad list or all shooters in score entry in practiscore), these appear in the list with a yellow background on the individual line plus the string "reentry" after the name. In match results, the re-entries do not appear at all unless you check a "include re-entries" checkbox before calculating results.

For activity credit upload file generation, the system picks within a given division the best single HF for the shooter and sends that as the classifier update. That is done regardless of whether the 'include re-entries' checkbox was selected as described before.

Enter the shooter for one division, and again for the other division. It keeps them separate.

My main concern is, if the names are sorted in alpha order, the score keeper will see the same persons name twice and it could be real easy for them to pick the wrong one. IOW, this may be more of a User Issue than a Software Issue.

My main concern is, if the names are sorted in alpha order, the score keeper will see the same persons name twice and it could be real easy for them to pick the wrong one. IOW, this may be more of a User Issue than a Software Issue.

Yes, you'll need to pay attention to division name next to the shooter...

For the same division reentry, as a workaround, you could add a (Reentry N) suffix to the first name.

That's why some sort of stand-out highlight to the re-entries, as described above, would be desirable. You're already high-lighting deleted shooters. How tough would it be to do something similar for re-entries?

We fought all these problems 14 years ago in ezwinscore. Maybe it's just me, but it might be worthwhile to take a look at a running example and see how the "old guys" did it. This is, why re-invent the wheel when working examples already exist? :)

Edited by wgnoyes

We deal with is monthly at the steel challenge matches. When we pass out the tablets we include a laminated card that shows the divisions:

RFPO - Rimfire Pistol Open

RFRO - Rimfire Rifle Open

That helps the squads score correctly. I also like the way the shooters are listed in the iOS version of Practiscore. (screen shot attached)

post-50397-0-15931600-1408040389_thumb.p