Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor fix for the Glock.

jimreed1948

My 5 Glocks were all ejecting about the same. The main one I shoot was a little bit worse with brass to the face, brass going straight up and bouncing back on top of the slide or just barely ejecting and falling on the ground. After doing an internet search on the problem I came across a potential fix for the problem on two other forums that were posted by Dave Nowlin. I read those and it seemed pretty straight forward but I didn't do anything with the information at that time. I searched a little more and came across almost the identical article from Apex Tactical Solutions, http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/apex-glock-extractor-g-fre-fitting/

ATS is selling a different extractor but it needs to be tuned and tested during the installation process. I followed their instructions on my stock extractor and it really changed the way my brass is now ejected. I wish I would have made a video of this, but I didn't think it was going to change the ejection of the brass that much.

If any of you have a different fix, I would like to know what it is as well.

I have the Apex FRE in two guns that experienced erratic ejection. They worked for me.

Others have reported that just the non-LCI spring bearing has made a difference. Some have reported that increasing the spring tension on the extractor alone with a higher lb. spring will sometimes be enough. Others have also changed the angle on the ejector with a stone or file to give a higher angle as the majority of the time the case is hitting the ejection port, although this is less common since the 30274 ejector was released. Apex will also mill the slide to lower the ejection port if the gun is very bad so that the brass clears properly.

This definitely did the trick in my Gen 3 Glock 17. I initially ordered the Gen 3 FRE, and it didn't fix it at first.... I emailed Apex, and they actually called my cell I left in the message and talked specifically about what was going on.

They had me take about 15 photos of my slide with barrel removed at different angles and had their 'smiths take a close look at it. They determined that my frame was on the edge of spec and that the Gen 4 FRE would resolve the problem. They let me keep the Gen 3 extractor, and sent the Gen 4 straight to my door. Fixed the issue entirely!