Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 or 75B SA as open base gun

victor6

Victor, I would suggest the SA. I have two custom CZ Open guns and one in progress: one is a TS frame with an SP01 slide, one is a SA frame with an SP01 slide and one in the works is a SA frame and slide. I really enjoy the lighter frame of the SA to the heavy rail of the SP01; Production guns use the weight of the rail to keep the muzzle down but Open guns use the comp. The difference between the SP01 slide and the SA slide is the barrel diameter: the SP01 uses a 14mm OD barrel just like the TS, so you can use a TS barrel and not need to cut it; the SA uses a barrel with an OD of 12.75mm so you can use the 6" barrel from CZ USA, but you have to cut it to length.

photo_zpsa22febf2.jpg

The top two are mine, the CM belongs to a friend.

Hi Atlas,

Thank you for the response. I always enjoy your posts and photos, they are very educational :)

I had the crazy idea of buying a SP-01 in 9 and a 75B SA in 40 and then swapping slides ... would give me a great L-10 blaster (in a config you can't buy from the factory) and the basis for an open gun. But I don't know what other parts would have to be changed to make it all work.

Do you have any concerns on the 75B SA running a steady diet of major ammo?

Thanks,

Victor

Edited by victor6

I like that idea Victor :). I might even be able to help you get the comp set up.

A steady diet of 9 major in a SA? Well, a lot depends on the comp, your loads and how many rounds you shoot per year. I'd describe myself as a gun guy first and a shooter second, just because I have three small children so getting out to shoot is harder than tinkering with guns after they go to bed. With that in mind I haven't really torture tested any of my pistols. Guys who shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds each year can tell you a lot more about how long this part or that one will last. The realty is that and gun can be worn out, the only question is "how long will it take?"

An effective comp will dissipate much of the energy of a 9 major round before the slide cycles, so with a good comp I wouldn't worry about the frame. I would expect the barrel lugs to be the first to wear out, but I'd be surprised to see that happen in the first 100K rounds of 9 Major.

If you shoot 100K rounds through a $145 barrel I'd say that's a pretty good run.

• 7 months later...