Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drinking the blue coolaid

I am picking up my 650 this evening. I am jumping off the red wagon. The dealer here set it up so all I have to do is bolt it to the bench set the dies fill primers, powder and cases. I debated whether to have him set it up (no charge) or set it up myself for there is knowledge gained from setting one up and you need knowledge for the red one! I am sure I will be searching the site for answers to the questions I will have.. I will be loading 9mm and 40 with 45 real soon too. I will be late tonight ..lol

You did right by setting it up yourself. You need to know how to make corrections so might as well know how those dies work. I do think it is a good idea to have someone teach you at the start so that you don't have to learn from your own mistakes, some of which are dangerous. I had three squib loads after I started reloading with my RL550B and had it not been for an excellent instructor I would have tapped & racked only to fire on a obstructed barrel. The next two I caught thanks to the first. Best thing I did for this was to buy one of those reading lights from a dollar store which allowed me to shine light through the center hole in the tool head and see powder in the case before inserting the bullet for seating. Now I know if I have powder or if I have a double charge which is also very dangerous. Other than that it just a matter of getting a precise round. Once you have that it's all downhill and that's when the fun starts. I love spending time in my reloading room and producing a good round. You will be happy with your Dillon, that's for sure!

Driveshaft he did set it up for me. I spent an hour with him and he showed me many things. One thing I did do with this machine is opt for the powder check. I have also experienced some squib loads and they are not fun. also like you I did not do a tap rack either, the load did not cycle and It was at the range so not in a hurry running a stage. One thing I hate is when a range officer screams STOP. I have seen this happen more than once and it is something I listen for is the little pffffttttt instead of bang. I placed the dillon next to the RED machine and it shed a tear, or was it sweating knowing it's days were numbered..

So I loaded up some first rounds last night. the first 50 were very slow, adjusting things like the bell, powder check and just what is expected. then WOW it just ran and ran. no primer feed issues as with the red machine, no little nuances to take me away from producing rounds. so glad I purchased extra primer tubes! did not take long to produce 500 rounds. Thanks Dillon Precision

I had a loadmaster that I intended to keep and do just 40 s&w on but after a loading with the 650 I changed my mind. The 650 is designed to work, where the loadmaster is designed hoping it will work. I sold my loadmaster and used the money for upgrades for the 650, the only thing lee I have now is a o-press.

I got a 650 through Brian about 3 weeks ago and LOVE IT!!!! I just ordered another 300 bucks worth of stuff for it. I am a younger shooter 33, so I plan on getting my money worth out of it.