Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Special new setup - Redding profile crimp and other problems

rottenit

Hi!

I'm pretty new to reloading.

I've setting up the 650 for .38 special for my Wife's revolver (S&W 627) I have run into 2 issues so far:

I'm using new starline brass and Montana gold 142gr plated bullets

1. I'm not sure what the bell should be like, it seems pretty flared out but if I make it smaller its very hard to place/balance a bullet on it.

2. I'm using the Redding profile crimp die and its kinking the brass around the middle on one side every few rounds. It gets better if I back it off but then I loose the roll crimp at the groove. I cleaned the crimp die and put a little lube in it but that didn't seem to help. Even ran a few through that I hit with one shot and still same thing.

Right now the die is riding very close to the shellplate when its up, but again any lower and I loose the roll. I adjusted the shell plate by placing a piece of brass in station 1 then tightening down the plate at that point I back off just a smidge to allow the plate to move freely.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I had the same problem with a Redding .41 Magnum Profile Crimp die. If I turned it down enough to where it started an actually roll crimp it would buckle the case. I purchased a cheap Lee seat/crimp die and took the seated plug out. That was 8 years ago and I have not had a problem since. I think they must have made some taper crimp PCD's as you can look down mine and there is no roll crimp groove in the die at all. Swap out the crimp die and you should be fine. I didn't purchase mine new so I didn't bother contacting Redding maybe you should just to see what they say. I still have this die if anyone wants a freebie.