Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm OAL Variation

I am having an issue with bullets either falling into the cases and/or very random seating depths. I have tried all I can think of, but am hoping I am missing something simple. So I am hoping there is someone out there who may have run into this issue and found a solution.

First, the info on what equipment I am using:

• Dillon 650
  • EGW u die, Dillon powder measure, Hornady micrometer seating die, Lee factory crimp die
  • Zero 9mm 147 JHP bullets
  • random range brass -> as this is what I will be using to shoot matches and practice with.

This is the second toolhead setup I have run into this issue with. The first is identical except for a Dillon seating die. I called Dillon and they suggested to INCREASE the bell. To me this sounds counter-intuitive, increasing the bell should allow the bullet to fall farther into the case before it hits a spot tight enough to hold the bullet.

I measured the ID of the sized cases and they are right at .355. The U die is setup per the included directions, which say got all the way down till it touches the shellplate. The bullets were measured at random and come in right at .355.

The bell I set originally didn't seem too excessive. It just starts to open the top hair of the case mouth a bit.

This is really driving me crazy. Please let me know what you suggest. I can post pics or take measurements as needed. Thanks

Adam

The ID of the sized case should be tighter than the dimension you provided. .351-.353" is normal, so the bullet has a .001-.002" press fit per side. The ID on a Dillon 9mm size die at the tightest point (the top of the carbide, BTW) is .372" nominal.

It sounds like your size die is not tight enough.

I am having an issue with bullets either falling into the cases and/or very random seating depths. I have tried all I can think of, but am hoping I am missing something simple. So I am hoping there is someone out there who may have run into this issue and found a solution.

First, the info on what equipment I am using:

• Dillon 650
  • EGW u die, Dillon powder measure, Hornady micrometer seating die, Lee factory crimp die
  • Zero 9mm 147 JHP bullets
  • random range brass -> as this is what I will be using to shoot matches and practice with.

This is the second toolhead setup I have run into this issue with. The first is identical except for a Dillon seating die. I called Dillon and they suggested to INCREASE the bell. To me this sounds counter-intuitive, increasing the bell should allow the bullet to fall farther into the case before it hits a spot tight enough to hold the bullet.

I measured the ID of the sized cases and they are right at .355. The U die is setup per the included directions, which say got all the way down till it touches the shellplate. The bullets were measured at random and come in right at .355.

The bell I set originally didn't seem too excessive. It just starts to open the top hair of the case mouth a bit.

This is really driving me crazy. Please let me know what you suggest. I can post pics or take measurements as needed. Thanks

Adam

First: If bullets are falling into the case---you are belling to much! You are expanding the entire case. BTW-you need very bell for a jacketed bullet.

Second: You will ALWAYS have varied OAL. + or - a couple thousandths is normal.