Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated Slug Sight

As I am shooting right handed with my left eye I am using OKO-dot mounted 45 degrees on the left side. So at 10:30 o clock so to speak. That works great for me with the exeption of slugs on precision or long range targets.

I have zerod it at 20m with slugs but if shooting on small targets like clay (fixed) or on long distances like 50m or so it is hard to impossible to hit or it takes several shots to hit. up until my zero distance the slug will be right of the aim line and after it will be left meaning that I not only have to adjust for vertical but also horizontal deviation.

Those shots are rare in matches but if they happen I can more or less forget about this stage.

So I am thinking of mounting a dedicated slug sight in the traditional position meaning on the center rail. In order not to block my field of view I was thinking of a flip up iron sight. However, in order to be able to see through it with my left eye I need a higher offset than usual. Meaning I would have to put a riser under the flipup.

Now the big question would I be able to zero it with slugs at lets say 25m or would the adjustment range not be big enough?

Anyone any ideas?

Fritz, why not try and zero your OKO dot for slugs and then see where it hits for shot?? instead of zeroing it for shot and hoping for it to work with slugs??It may be the easier of the two to accomplish.

Trapr

the problem would still be that I do need to know the distance to the target in order to adjust for the right to left flight path. if i have to shoot at a fixed clay just 2 or 3cm can make a big difference. on top of that I also have to adjust for the vertical flight path. that would mean that I might have to aim 5cm low and 3cm left or something like it and then only if I know the distance and my ballistics.

I think its more practicalbe to just have to adjust for vertical especially as a popper is quite long so as long as i am on it it does not matter so much if I hit it 10cm higher or lower but as the popper is quite narrow 10cm left or right would make a big difference. Or with a clay I just have to aim above for example and not above and left or right.

I think mounting a buis is a good idea if I would just know if the adjustment range is big enough considering that I would need a riser of at least half an inch maybe more.

it may still be easier to have bius off to the side since precision is not that important and have OKO dot for slugs centered on shotgun? if so JP offset short range sight or XS offset sights might work

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

it may still be easier to have bius off to the side since precision is not that important and have OKO dot for slugs centered on shotgun? if so JP offset short range sight or XS offset sights might work

Trapr

it would be easier yes but would also mean some disadvantages.

I would be using the OKO then only in maybe less than 10% of the shots I take during a match if at all. meaning I would loose the advantage of the reddot for the most part. It would also mean that the oko or whatever other dot has to be on a riser too blocking my field of view to the right while still having the issue with the adjustment range being maybe too small. thats why a flip up sight sounds tempting. Does not block the fov but should give more than enough accuracy for those rare slug shots where you need em and gets me on the same level with anyone who uses a ghost sight for example.

remember that for any normal slug stage the oko as it is right now is plenty of good enough. It only becomes a problem if the tarket is very small like a fixed clay or if the targets are far away. If I am shooting normal paper targets no problem at all as a few cm left or right dont matter and if they matter than maybe 2 or 3 C instead of A over a whole match. I can live with that.

the issue with putting the rear sight on a riser is that the front would need to be raised the same amount, which would be ok but more difficult than raising the back. first off what shotgun are you using?

is there a rail on it to mount a sight easily? if so getting the JP set up would be easiest, it comes with a built in riser for both front and rear.

trapr

So if I'm reading this right your worried that your going to have to hit a clay with a slug? Or some other small or far target?

If your asked to hit a clay with a slug I would suggest engaging it with a shot as fast as possible then skipping it cause 85% of shooters wound be able to hit that small of a target.

I suggest you just "zero" the gun a inch left of the poi and call it good. If the target is small enough for that inch to matter your going to need a lot of luck to hit it with a slug. (Remember most shooters don't even have a rear iron sight and are using a front sight only) you still going to have to worry about elevation changes but that part of the game and slug targets are normally big enough it won't matter.

If your slug and shot have very different poi I would zero for shot Kentucky wind age the slug since they are used much less often.

So if I'm reading this right your worried that your going to have to hit a clay with a slug? Or some other small or far target?

If your asked to hit a clay with a slug I would suggest engaging it with a shot as fast as possible then skipping it cause 85% of shooters wound be able to hit that small of a target.

I suggest you just "zero" the gun a inch left of the poi and call it good. If the target is small enough for that inch to matter your going to need a lot of luck to hit it with a slug. (Remember most shooters don't even have a rear iron sight and are using a front sight only) you still going to have to worry about elevation changes but that part of the game and slug targets are normally big enough it won't matter.

If your slug and shot have very different poi I would zero for shot Kentucky wind age the slug since they are used much less often.

I was just at a match where we had to hit 2 clays on around 25m standing without support. Most hit them with 2 or 3 shots most I did not alt all. They scored the clays 2x. Meaning that you got 10 points each but also 2 miss each. So instead of getting 20 points plus I made 40 points minus.

We are frequently shooting stationary clays with slugs at distances up to 30m or poppers up to 70m.

I was thinking of zeroing it just left like you suggested but have to test how that affects shooting with birdshot on overlapping plates/ns plates. There are frequent shots where a no shoot plate is overlapping a target plate. I even already came across ground up shots cause the ns plate was more or less completely overlapping the target plate

dewberry, stationary clays at 25m are quite common overseas and not a difficult shot provided you know where your SG shoots slugs, assuming that 85% would miss would be incorrect, perhaps 85% would hit quite easily and the rest may take longer or not at all.

Fritz, what SG do you shoot and doe sit have en easy way to attach sights?

Trapr

dewberry, stationary clays at 25m are quite common overseas and not a difficult shot provided you know where your SG shoots slugs, assuming that 85% would miss would be incorrect, perhaps 85% would hit quite easily and the rest may take longer or not at all.

Fritz, what SG do you shoot and doe sit have en easy way to attach sights?

Trapr

I am shooting a MKA 1919 as it does have a rail it would be easy to attach. As I have my OKO on 45 degrees left there is more or less the whole middle rail available. I would need a 8 to 9cm offset if mounted in the middle. Not sure how much a slug drops at lets say 25m but overall I asume that I have to compensate for at least 10cm (offset + drop). Now I do know that flip up BUIS sights dont have a vertical adjustment for the most part. Meaning I would have to do it via the front sight. Main question for me is if I could zero with a BUIS or if the adjustment range is not enough.

Yes we do have shots like that frequently and its not a hard shot. Do it with my rifle all the time but there I have a scope in the middle and a reddot 45 degrees left. Shooting everything up to 50m and larger targets between 50 and 100 with the dot and if for example there is a clay I just use the scope. Works great but the scope does block my fov. So shooting from right to left no problem at all but from left to right not so good. thats why I was thinking of the flipup sights as fov in shotgun is even more important.

The secret to horizontally offset sights such as this is to zero AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE! In the case of slugs 100 yds would be about right.

When the horizontal crossover is 100 yds, none of your closer shots will be more than 2" +/- from line of sight.

I have always zero'd for slugs first, and, in my case, always found my shot patterns to be zero'd as well ( to the limit of shot effectiveness).

ericm

Well I guess everything is bigger in Texas including targets, I've never seen a slug target anywhere near that small, here your much more likely to see a normal sized target at distance. Maybe we just have more space to spread out.